'puffy' Quilting Technique

Decorating By ashleabrowncake Updated 12 May 2013 , 2:14pm by BrandisBaked

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 9:23am
post #1 of 12

AJust wondering if anyone can tell me how THEY get their quilting to have that 'puffy' looking? I am about to have another go, I have let my fondant harden for a day (I think it might just crack though) and the ganache under it soften a little. I will see how that works, anyone else have any other techniques they use?

11 replies
Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 12

I'm assuming you are using an imprint sheet? I use a diamond quilter to get the "puffy" look. Here's a link to it.

http://www.winbeckler.com/LARGE-DIAMOND-QUILTER-30p5617.htm

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how THEY get their quilting to have that 'puffy' looking?
I am about to have another go, I have let my fondant harden for a day (I think it might just crack though) and the ganache under it soften a little.
I will see how that works, anyone else have any other techniques they use?

I do it right away, while the fondant is still soft, and has some give to it. I have a copper three diamond quilter/cutter from Jennifer Dontz. After you make the impression, go over the individual lines with a boning tool/skewer, with some pressure. Not so much that you cut thru, but it should poof the diamonds out.

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 12

I think the fondant needs to be soft. I did the cake in my avatar with the wilton embossing tool and a ribbon as a guide. Used stick pins to hold the ribbon so the lines were a consistent width apart. (Actually, to be honest I did that for the first 2 or 3 lines then it got tedious and I eye-balled it).

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, I do it when the fondant is very soft.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 12:02am
post #6 of 12

Yes, you have to work while the fondant is soft.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 12:03am
post #7 of 12

It HAS to be done whilst the fondant is soft.

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 12:16am
post #8 of 12

Athanks everyone :) I have been playing around with it a fair bit the last couple of days, and I think I am getting there! it is still not as 'puffy' as I would like though, but I will keep going... practice makes perfect!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 5:05am
post #9 of 12

Try covering the area with plastic wrap (hold it taut) and then use the diamond cutter.  It makes for a rounded edge and this also works for any other type of cutting/marking you are doing.

anayah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anayah Posted 11 May 2013 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 12

AThe key is to have a good amount of buttercream under the fondant..here is my very first attempt. It's a cake I done for a wedding ....I really enjoyed decorating it and it looked amazing![IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3004659/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 12 May 2013 , 1:58am
post #11 of 12

I second the extra buttercream suggestion... I usually put my "quilts" on with the edge of a clean ruler because I don't have any fancy cutters. On cakes where I skimped on the icing, they come out flat, but on cakes where I was quite generous with the icing were very pillowy!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 12

AIt has to be done while the fondant is soft, or it will crack. I use the diamond cutter, I find it is the easiest and best looking way for me. However, if you're using extra buttercream underneath, you'll probably be pushing harder into the fondant, in which case, I would cover the cake with plastic wrap before making the impressions so they will look pillowy instead of cut into the fondant. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3005283/width/200/height/400[/IMG] This was done on a dummy with the cutter and no buttercream underneath.

This one was done with lots of buttercream, plastic wrap and a ruler to make the impressions. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3005284/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%