Uneven Baking

Decorating By sarahcatherine71 Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 11:35pm by sarahcatherine71

sarahcatherine71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahcatherine71 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 3

I am baking in a GE Profile Oven.  I usually use the convection setting (which my oven automatically adjusts the temp for me saving me math).  The oven is 6-7 years old and I have been using it for a cottage business for the past 4 years.  In the past few months it suddenly is not baking properly.  At first I thought I made a user error due to be so busy.  Now I know it is not me it is the oven.  Business is slow so now is the time to get it fixed. 

The symptoms are that the insides are raw while the outside is dry (cakes) or the outside is burned (cookies).  The problem is worse with the cookies than cake- maybe because it has less time to bake?  I have been testing using the most stable recipes, and cheapest- white cake, sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies.  At first I assumed the temp was too high so adjusted that down.  Then I bought a new thermometer for in the oven.  Yes the old thermometer in the oven was not accurate but the new one is yet still having problem.  I continued to adjust temperatures by increments of 10 degrees both up and down (for a total decrease of 50 degrees and the same for increase) and everything comes out the same with the only difference being the total baking time.

These are recipes that have always worked before for many years.  I am using the same pans and prep techniques each time as well.  I had a local repair man come out. He checked the igtnitor- shows fine.  Initially he recalibrated the oven since my thermometers and his showed it was a bit low-- that did not work. He then changed both the sensor and mother board- now the temp shows to be correct but the centers are still raw while the outside is still over cooked. I am so frustrated because this is not learning how a new oven works but trying to figure out why a formally perfect oven has gone bad.

Before I have the repair man come to the house again has anyone else had this issue?  Does anyone have a suggestion of what is the cause or something else to test?  Adjusting the temp should have fixed it.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 3

this exact issue came up in january--here's the link

http://cakecentral.com/t/753013/buyer-beware-ge-profile-convection-oven

plus if you do a search for 'profile range' or profile oven' you get a nice list that may be helpful

sarahcatherine71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahcatherine71 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the reply. I went to that link and unfortunately the symptoms in that post are very different from mine.  I have already searched the web and was unable to find anything helpful.

Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%