Baking Larger Cakes?

Decorating By Aurora42196 Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 6:48pm by roseath2o

Aurora42196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora42196 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 3

Hello

I just recently purchased some Fat Daddio cake pans in a set from even 4-14" I see that it recommends baking your cakes 25 degrees lower than normal. another thing is that I don't have a heating core or metal flower nails at the moment and was told to wrap the cakes and in a damp towel and set 25 degrees lower. doe this mean if I bake a larger cake that I have to set it to 300 degrees instead of 350? or just stay at 325. TIA

happy baking icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 3

I have Fat Daddio pans, and I bake all my cakes at 325. I use wet towel strips on 6" and larger and I use a nail in every cake from 8" up. For 12" and larger, I use 3. I rarely have to cut much off my cakes, but when I do, it is pretty flat. (except chocolate) My cakes are really soft on the edges, and not crunchy, at all.

I will also sometimes use a can that is open on both ends, for a heating core. Just remove the label, and make sure it doesn't have a plastic lining in it, most off brands won't. Green Giant does, last I knew, but I have been buying frozen veggies for years.

When you take the cake out, the center part will be a separate cake, but just level them and fill as if it is 1 whole cake, not 2, and it all holds together. I have NEVER had a problem with it, but have had the outer ring of cake tear when I torted it, then tried to lift it, but that is fine too! Just stick it it back together with a small bit of icing, and the outer icing will hold it all together.

roseath2o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseath2o Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 3

I bake all my cakes at 325° and I use a heating core for cakes 10" and larger.  I also use damp towels wrapped on pans 10" and larger and I get level cakes all the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%