Paisley Embossed Wedding Cake

Decorating By justpracticecakes Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 4:46pm by handymama

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 7

AI have an order for a wedding cake . Fondant four tier with paisley embossed on the second and top tier. I bought the paisley empression text sheet from global sugar art. The problem im having is when i put the embossed fondant on the cake the top is perfect but on the sides it streaches out the design before i ever even touch it. I use satin ice fondant. Im wondering if its just to soft or if im doing something wrong. Is there any way to do this with out distorting the paisleys on the sides. Or maybe another method of imprinting paisleys on fondant????????? Any help would be wonderful.

6 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 7

Could you emboss after fondant is on cake? It sounds like you are doing it before fondant is placed.  I've never tried embossing so I'm not really sure how it works, but I don't know how you would do it before you apply the fondant.

justpracticecakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 7

AThe directions .... And there werent many, say to roll the fondant on the texture sheet then flip it over on to the cake and gently smooth. Thats not working so ill try what you are saying. How would i do that . The sheet is 23 inches by 23 . Im not opposed to cutting it . It was just 13 dollars. Would i cut it then just press it into the soft fondant?

savannahquinn Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 7

I just watched a video and she rolled the fondant on a Mat and then put it on the cake after the embossing. she just patted the sides down and didn't stretch it...She only did a small piece and didn't actually cover a whole cake.  I would imagine ( and I'm sure there are people on CC who know and have done this) that you can cover your cake then position the design and go over it with a fondant smoother.  Wait to see if anyone has any other ideas before you cut the embossing mat.  

justpracticecakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 7

AI will thank you!!!!!

savannahquinn Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Pretty simple. I crumb coated and frosted my cake as usual. Rolled the fondant fairly thick, about 1/4 in. Then I used an embossing roller, this one is called Whimsy Hearts at this site. http://www.caljavaonline.com/rollingpin1-whimsyhearts-lg.htm *************** also has embossed rollers but they seem to be back ordered quite a bit.

I then rolled the pin over the fondant using pretty firm pressure to be sure to get the imprint. After I was happy with the embossing I put it on the cake and did my best to get the edges down. I then used the pink foam to gently press the top and the sides until I felt that it was adhered. The rest is done as usual.

I'm not sure if there is much difference between the two fondants I use. The Pettinice is a fondant that I can get at a local cake decorating shop near me. The Satin Ice was one that I had ordered online. Both taste great!

Hope this helps!!

this is from a previous thread in the tutorial section.  LOL I don't know why I'm obsessed with trying to find out how this is done but good luck!!!!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 7

Impress first. Have cake flat on table, not elevated. Be sure there is plenty of fondant for a generous skirt, even if the skirt isn't impressed with the pattern. Cup hand and gently press fondant to shoulder as you place it on cake. Keep skirt close to cake to help support patterned fondant until you are ready to smooth that area; cut off excess (leaving 1"-2") then "fluff" as needed while adhering sides with a light touch. Larger tiers are easier than smaller, and 4" tiers are a nightmare.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%