Has Anyone Used "the Mat" With Mmf And Not Had A Sticking Issue?

Decorating By Lizziescakes Updated 23 Feb 2013 , 4:33am by shar25

Lizziescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizziescakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:31am
post #1 of 10

Has anyone used "The Mat" with MMF and not had a sticking issue?

9 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:59am
post #2 of 10

I only use MMF but don't use any mats. What's the mat for? If it's a particularly humid day and the MMF is sticking, I'll use cornstarch to keep it from sticking to the counter but I tend to just use powdered sugar. If your MMF is still sticky, there's probably not enough PS in it yet. I hope that helps!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:08am
post #3 of 10

I don't use homemade fondant for a variety of reasons. I do use The Mat and like that I can roll thinner and more evenly with it, and need no PS or CS whatsoever. It takes many uses (10-20) to break it in so it releases well, and there's also a learning curve just like everything else. If you leave a heavier "lip" of fondant at the edge that will be coming off the mat first it helps get things going.

shar25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shar25 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:08am
post #4 of 10

Hi

I have use the Mat with fondant and it really works especially when you have a large cake to cover,its made of a sort of vinyl which is food safe I was very happy with my purchase

cheers

Shareen

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 9:39am
post #5 of 10

I've had The Mat a couple of months now and have done Wiltons fondant, Satin Ice, and MMF on it with no problems with any of them...DO NOT use powdered sugar or cornstartch on The Mat ever. If your fondant is too sticky, remove it from the mat then work a little powdered sugar into it, then try re rolling icon_smile.gif

cryssyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssyl Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 10

I have the mat and the first time I ever went to use it a tried it with MMF. It was a total FAILURE! I was so discouraged I didn't use the mat for awhile and then I came on here and started a thread about it. I found out that I didn't 'season' the mat before the first use. The instructions that came with it (or lack thereof) didn't say anything about seasoning it. But Sweetwise does have a youtube channel with lots of instructions and tutorials. I'm hoping this is the reason why my MMF stuck. I've only used Wilton fondant so far. 

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 10

AI am on my way home from Memphis as we speak with my new matt...I was excited but now I'm a little worried as I only use MMF.

dld65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dld65 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 10

I use The Mat and I only use MMF.  You are right, it must be seasoned.  I think I learned this from the website video.  

I never use any powered sugar or cornstarch when rolling, however, I have found that it rolls out much easier if I recoat the mat with Crisco if I haven' t used it for a couple of weeks.  I just wipe it clean between uses.   By doing this, I never have sticking issues with my MMF.

Lizziescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizziescakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 4:14am
post #9 of 10

I just viewed the video on care and seasoning of the mat. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'm sure it will make a difference.

shar25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shar25 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:33am
post #10 of 10

Hi

I used the Mat quite successfully with fondant,but I wased mine down before using it worked  a treat love it.Purchased in USA.

Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%