Help With Fondant Or Gumpaste Plz

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 31 Aug 2013 , 10:45am by chocaholikk

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 15

AHi everyone im new to the forum. I love baking cakesand although im nit very good YET, one day id love to have my own business run from home. I have made a few cakes and I think theybturned out okay but id love to be able to make fondant characters. Can anybody help with any tips or any books that can help? I have added a pic of my sons burthday cake which I made a few weeks back hope you like itIm in UK seems most people on the site are in USA. Any help would be much apreciated.Thanks xxxx

14 replies
sweetheart1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart1978 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 15

WOW! Your cake looks fantastic! I'm from uk too and i've recently posted about making fondant models, the advice i've been given is to mix fondant and gumpaste 50/50. This keeps the models standing and more stable. I haven't tried it yet but can't wait to! You can also mix gum trag with sugarpaste to make your own gumpaste. Hope that helps xx

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocaholikk 

Hi everyone im new to the forum. I love baking cakesand although im nit very good YET, one day id love to have my own business run from home. I have made a few cakes and I think theybturned out okay but id love to be able to make fondant characters. Can anybody help with any tips or any books that can help? I have added a pic of my sons burthday cake which I made a few weeks back hope you like itIm in UK seems most people on the site are in USA. Any help would be much apreciated.Thanks xxxx

Hi! Welcome to the forums! I learned a lot by going to Youtube and type in "How to make fondant figures" and there are lots of tutorials on there. Once you get the basic ideas, then it's just experimenting. It's like playing with Play Doh. (Do you have Play doh in the UK?)  Anyway, it's fun and not that hard. I'm not artistic at all but I've made some pretty cute figures. You can do it!

AlyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlyT Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 15

AA bookbi recently heard about on here was the complete photo guide to cake decorating by autumn carpenter. Supposed to be amazing. I found it at many public libraries or amizon.com or from book stores. I got 5 star ratings on all the sights I went on to. Your cake is amazing. Keep it up!

chocaholikk Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 15

ASorry I dunno y that pic got posted again...thank uou for your kind words and advice I will deffo be lookin for that book...the figues on the cske are plastic toys but they did the trick. Thank you everyone xxxx

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 1:18am
post #8 of 15

I recently ordered the book that AlyT mentions, but I also ordered another called "Fondant Modeling for Cake Decorators: 100 Fondant Features to Top Off a Special Cake" (mainly because ordering both books gave me free shipping)  :-P

I haven't received it yet, but it looks pretty useful, and may be just what you're looking for.  Otherwise, as others said, the internet is an awesome resource.

captainsmixandmagic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captainsmixandmagic Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 1:30am
post #9 of 15

there are also loads of tutorial videos on youtube. :) just search it in and you'll get the videos that show you how to shape various figures.

chocaholikk Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 1:47am
post #10 of 15

AThanks everyone. Im very new to this so if anyone has any tips ir tricks to share on anything ti do with cake decoration-im all ears!!

Ps its nice to know that the poeple on here r so friendly n helpful. . Xxx

AlyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlyT Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 2:30am
post #11 of 15

AI literally just ordered it a few hrs ago. I'm very excited! So many books go online and read reviews. If you can try to take a class from a local college or Michaels. Always room to learn!

chocaholikk Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 9:48am
post #12 of 15

AIll deffo b ordering those books. Thanks xxx

Lea17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lea17 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 9:54am
post #13 of 15

wow thats great!!!  I want to start doing the figures out of fondant too, so i'm kind of teaching myself with youtube!  But theres some good book, character books, on Amazon i was looking at getting to help me too :)  I'm from UK too, and i was looking in WHSmiths at some good teaching books for fondant too!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 15

Are you not icing the cake before you put fondant on? I'm not digging this thread up on purpose, I went to look at your photos because of a recent thread you posted, and am trying to figure out what you're doing to help you.

chocaholikk Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 10:45am
post #15 of 15

AYeah. I crumbcoat and then put fondant on thr cake x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%