Starting Out

Business By Jodies cakes Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 9:26am by Jodies cakes

Jodies cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodies cakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 5

After allot of years of finding my own way with cakes, and baking/deccorating for friends n family - im expanding.... I have found this webpage but if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me any advice and tips of how to get started, they would be greatly recieved :-)

Jodie

(ive set up a fb page so far for my cakes and ordered some business cards to hand out at local play groups etc.)

thank you in advance :)

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 5

AWhere are you located? Some states allow you to sell homemade cakes with certain restrictions, but other states require a commercial kitchen that can pass a health dept inspection. You will also need a business plan, liability insurance, accounting software (or an accountant), and a business license.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

Where do you live? That is the very first question we need to ask, because there are certain legalities of running a food based business, and the states and counties vary widely, in the US, and we in the US, don't know about Canada, or Africa, or Australia, or Asia, or Europe, or South America. We don't need your mailing address, just Country, state or province or whatever, or county.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 5

Jason beat me to it, when I was typing!

Jodies cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodies cakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 9:26am
post #5 of 5

Im based in Lincolnshire, England.  I have set up from home and have been approved by environmental health and done my food hygeine certificate.  Meeting all reg's, I have business qualifications and can manage my own accounts/books.  Its just expanding my current contacts that im struggling with,  and of cause pricing as i have no idea how much other people would charge... While im building my portfolio, im charging very little ontop of cost.

Does anyone else post cakes? I have had quite allot of enquiries about posting cakes out to people...

J x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%