All Buttercream Chevron Stripes?

Decorating By akrainis Updated 5 Nov 2014 , 11:11pm by sherrycakes

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 12

Is this possible?? I have a customer who absolutely does NOT want fondant or modeling chocolate. 

I was thinking perhaps a frozen buttercream transfer... but I still don't know if it would be as clean and sharp as fondant/modeling choc. 

Any other ideas?? 

11 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 12

No, they won't work unless you can freeze it around your cake, because it will be flat, if you don't. Has anyone ever tried that? Maybe do a long transfer to cover the cake in one fell swoop, wrap it around the cake, freeze it, then peel it off? Did I just invent something? lol! It still wont look as good as fondant, gum paste or modeling clay. Sometime we need to tell the client what we can and cannot do, and they can like it or lump it.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 12

AI've seen chevron cutters, could they deal with some fondant being attached to the buttercream? And have you told them how much more time (and therefore $) it will take?

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 12

What about a stencil? If there is not one available to buy, you could try cutting your own. 

Just make sure you chill the cake down in the freezer so the buttercream gets hard. 

Try a few practice runs before you do it on the actual cake. If you get it right, it could look as good and sharp as if it were fondant/gumpaste.

HTH

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 12

AEdible image?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 12

AOr chocolate transfer? Cut chevrons out of acetate and coat with chocolate. Wrap around the cake? Might be messy..

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:08am
post #7 of 12

"Sorry, but to ensure that your cake looks beautiful, and I don't end up on Cakewrecks on any given weekday, I will need to use fondant. It's really easy to peel off. And if you happen to get any of the offending sugar dough in your mouth, don't panic, it won't kill you."

((sigh))

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:13am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

"Sorry, but to ensure that your cake looks beautiful, and I don't end up on Cakewrecks on any given weekday, I will need to use fondant. It's really easy to peel off. And if you happen to get any of the offending sugar dough in your mouth, don't panic, it won't kill you."

((sigh))

LMAO! True, true...

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:09am
post #9 of 12

haha!

Seriously, cakewrecks is the first thing I thought of when I was approached with the idea of buttercream chevron stripes. I'll experiment with a few things but she might just be getting modeling chocolate chevrons. 

kakesbykatie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbykatie1 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:54am
post #10 of 12

AWhat about marshmallow fondant? Or hand piping it?

AlphaSierra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlphaSierra Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:56am
post #11 of 12

would marzipan work in this situation? :O

sherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycakes Posted 5 Nov 2014 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 12

I need to know!!! Did anyone answer your question about piping on buttercream chevron stripes around a cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%