Fat Daddios Cake Lifter?

Decorating By bittersweety Updated 16 Feb 2013 , 4:55am by Annabakescakes

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

so i just posted another thread about finding a cake lifting tool and then i found this one on amazon 2 seconds later!  so,, anyone have any reviews on the Fat Daddios Jumbo Cake lifter? good? bad?  i need a good tool for stacking cakes.

6 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 7

AMy husband had me buy two of them when we saw them at the ICES in Charlotte. I like them very much and use them for my more heavy dense cakes, and I have two of the Wilton ones as well. I don't consider any of them a waste of my money. They are integral pieces of my cake tools:smile:

HTH:-)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 7

I use one very similar to the Wilton one, that my husband made me at work, but the main trick to it is freezing  the cakes hard before you stack. (Don't freeze them all the way through!) It really keeps the dents and chunks of missing icing at bay. And finger marks!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

You freeze each iced tier before you stack it on? I've always been leery of freezing when frosted - but maybe it's OK to freeze just enough to make them handle-able (if that's a word!)?

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:24am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaben 

You freeze each iced tier before you stack it on? I've always been leery of freezing when frosted - but maybe it's OK to freeze just enough to make them handle-able (if that's a word!)?

Heck yeah, i do! I have a sand up deep freeze that is empty 5 days a week, it's sole purpose is freezing my cakes to stack them !

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 4:06am
post #6 of 7

ABoy oh boy - I am SO going to do that! That willl solve so many problems. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 4:55am
post #7 of 7

I know just how you feel, I was told that about 2-3 years ago, it changed my life ;-)

Just make sure it is good and hard, and you'll be fine! It may get a little dewy, so if it is decorated, just don't touch it, but if it isn't decorated and you have fondant appliques to put on, take advantage of the dew, and stick them on with no extra water, or glue ;-) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%