Egyptian Bed Cake

Decorating By Faithbound Updated 14 Feb 2013 , 2:44pm by AnnieCahill

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 8

My daughter turned ten yesterday and today I turned 34. She definitely outshines me! LOL She has requested an Egyptian Bed cake to match her Cleo De Nile Monster High theme for her party this Saturday. For the life of me I can't figure how I can lift the cake (bed part) off the surface, so I decided to just lay it flat. The curtains I could make from fondant but how would I hold them up? Any and all suggestions are most welcome and most appreciated. Thank you!

7 replies
keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 8

What they don't tell you when you get into cakes is that you need a small background in carpentry for some cakes...lol!

For lifting the cake, you would have to have a bed support, wrap feet in fondant and decorate, then place that on your regular board. Same goes for the back of the bed and post. You would need to build some sort of support system or frame. Depending on the scale, some small dowels and a thin piece or particle board. Mount it to your bed support and the base support, cover in fondant, then add the cake and details. I'll attach a pic of a baby superhero cake that I had to build a support for to maybe give you a better idea of what I mean in my explanation. Good luck!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 8

Well. I want an Egyptian bed now.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 8

Yeah no kidding!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 1:46am
post #5 of 8

AMy

Original message sent by AZCouture

Well. I want an Egyptian bed now.

My aunt is a high-end interior designer and she does those all the time. I sleep in one in her guest room when I go visit, and she has a similar, one sided design in her room, as well. Silk duvet covers and pillow rolls and the like. She lives in GA and does a lot of work in CA, and AZ. Just flies over, takes pictures, designs, and hires workers... She is so cool!!

As far as cake form...I have no idea! Show us a picture when you're done!

And how cute is Monster High? We had a Monster High party for my daughter last year, and we are having another this year (next week). I have done several cakes for them, and still get excited to do another;-) My husband bought her 4 dolls over a couple week period because the stores sell out, and within moments of her going to bed, he runs out to his car and gets it, and shows it to me, lol. He will play dolls with her, too, so cute!

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 6:35am
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for replying. I was able to talk her into a cake I can pull off lol. It will be my first topsy turvy cake and still a Monster High theme. I appreciate your time very much!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8

Annie I can't help but imagine the adorable mutt in your avatar sitting up on the bed with his/her head tipped up regally!!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 8

He would do that too!  We don't let our dogs on our furniture, but every now and then I see little paw prints on the upholstery and I can tell they have been up there.  And of course if I point and ask if they have been up there they will turn their head to the side, close their eyes, and do this licky thing with their mouths which is their way of saying they can't be bothered with me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%