Zebra Stripes On Buttercream, How??

Decorating By tazmycat Updated 15 Feb 2013 , 12:36pm by tazmycat

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 16

Hey folks,  I am planning to make my granddaughter's 16th birthday cake.  She wants zebra stripes.  I am planning to use the Buttercream Dream icing recipe and my question is will fondant zebra stripes stick on a crusted buttercream cake.  If so, how do I go about making them stick.  thx. in advance.  Vicky

15 replies
CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 16

Fondant stripes will work just fine on buttercream.  If the buttercream has already crusted, you just have to moisten the back of the piece of fondant with water, thinned piping gel, or thinned corn syrup (I just use water) and lightly rub the fondant after you place it on the cake to be sure it is completely in contact with the cake.

tazmycat Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you Cakes by Jen.  It has been a lot of years since I have made cakes and never worked w/ fondant.  But when grandchildren call,  we answer.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 16

I did one  and the stripes works great just take a paint brush and dip into water dont get it too wet or it will bleed onto the cake and tap them down with your finger,

tazmycat Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 16

Thank you cake baker 1957.  One more question, is it possible to roll out the fondant without a mat like on parchment or something??  Also has anyone used the sugar sheets??

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 16

Sorry, I have never tried rolling fondant out on anything other than a fondant mat, On Cake Boss they roll it out on there counter tops , but they dust it first with corn starch (I think thats what they use)  , And Im thinking that the sheets might be easier to use, Not sure though !!!!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 16

I never use a mat.  I roll it directly on the table top for large stuff, and I have a glass cutting board that I use the smooth side for rolling fondant for smaller stuff.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 16

I absolutly LOVE the sugar sheets! Especially for zebra stripes. The Wilton brand already comes on black and for $4 you can cover a 12"-14" cake depending on how you cut the stripes and the distance apart you place them. No rolling fondant! Here are a few of my pics where I have used the Wilton sugar sheets

tazmycat Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 16

Hey Doramoreno,  Funny, my grandaughter that I am making the cake for is named Brianna.  And the pink is also what she wants.  The sugar sheets sound like a life saver to me as I have never worked w/ fondant before.  Do you cut them w/ scissors or what?  Any other tips?  Do you moisten them before attaching them?  Gosh, I think I love you.

tazmycat Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you Remnant 333

tazmycat Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 16

Oops -  3333

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 16

You can use scissors or an Xacto, if the sugar sheets are brittle. 

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmycat 

Hey Doramoreno,  Funny, my grandaughter that I am making the cake for is named Brianna.  And the pink is also what she wants.  The sugar sheets sound like a life saver to me as I have never worked w/ fondant before.  Do you cut them w/ scissors or what?  Any other tips?  Do you moisten them before attaching them?  Gosh, I think I love you.

Aww how sweet! Thank you! They are so easy to work with. I prefer to use an exacto knife but you can certainly use scissors. Don't leave the sheet out in the open air because they will dry out and crack when you cut them. They are flexible and will stay like that for a good hour I would guesstimate. Attach them to your buttercream before it crusts. If it has already crusted you can brush a little water on the back of the sheet and then attach. Don't saturate it though because it will melt or tear or bleed. I just cut long pointy stripes, not too thick or thin. You can google Zebra Stripes to get a more realistic looking pattern. Have fun with it!

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 4:23am
post #14 of 16

Here is a buttercream cake I made, frosted with white vanilla buttercream and covered with zebra stripes I made from purple sugar sheets.  I used kitchen scissors to cut them out.

crystal18_corpus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal18_corpus Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 5:02am
post #15 of 16

you did a beautiful job

tazmycat Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 12:36pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you everyone who answered w/ advice and pictures.  The cakes are gorgeous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%