Wedding Expo Opinions

Business By experimenting Updated 24 Feb 2013 , 8:04am by experimenting

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:01pm
post #31 of 44

I have done a few wedding shows, I do mini cupcakes instead of cutting a cake. More baking time, but it's worth it for the 'cute factor', lol. There has always been multiple cake vendors, and usually I am the only one doing minis.

Definitely do more than one flavour! I always do 3, a vanilla, a chocolate and a something a bit 'funkier'.

I don't restrict samples, my first show I ran out in an hour, that was a bit embarrassing. So now I make sure I take plenty.

I just have business cards, 4 dummy cakes on a tall shelf/counter behind me and the cupcakes lined up on the table in front, and a banner that hangs off the front of the table. In my experience, the less I have out the easier it goes, and It looks nicer, which always attracts people.

You want people to take pictures! It's something extra for them to remember you by, putting the business cards in front of them isn't a bad idea.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:05pm
post #32 of 44

Well, just to add another idea into the mix....

The last few wedding fairs I've done, I've taken 3 flavours of cake to give as samples.  What I did was to cut each piece into a small finger portion, wrap in clingfilm (Saran wrap?) and then place in a small box (just for this purpose - they fit snugly into the box).  I also slipped one of my cards into the box.  My husband and I only gave a box of cake samples to people who we felt were genuinely interested.  There may have been one or two who we missed, but it saved me a fortune in cake samples - because there are always lots of people at these things whose only interest is to see how much FREE STUFF they can get!!!!!

However, I DEFINITELY agree with giving samples and cards to other vendors!!  :D

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:34am
post #33 of 44

A

Original message sent by experimenting

Oh, ok. It looks white in the picture. Thanks!

Looks white to me too!

ohsugarsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsugarsweets Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:35am
post #34 of 44

Does anyone know the best place to purchase souffle cups and lids?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:37am
post #35 of 44

A

Original message sent by ohsugarsweets

Does anyone know the best place to purchase souffle cups and lids?

Sam's club is about the best, if you already have a membership. No shipping fees!

ohsugarsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsugarsweets Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:42am
post #36 of 44

Awesome! Thanks!

experimenting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
experimenting Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:11pm
post #37 of 44

Thanks for the input scrumdiddlycakes and Relznik! If you have pictures and time, I would really love to see your booths icon_biggrin.gif I have a pretty good idea on what we're going to do at this point thanks to all the great advice everyone has provided on here. However, I will remain nervous and worried that I'm missing something until the expo since this is my first. Even my husband is nervous shhh.gif

Relznik Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:36pm
post #38 of 44

Here you go...  this is one from a couple of years ago (scroll down to about the 3rd set of pics).  I only had a 6' table.

http://www.patacake-parties.com/News/News.html

experimenting Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:57pm
post #39 of 44

Thanks for sharing Relznik! BTW, the photos of your peacock cake are absolutely beautiful, especially the one where everything except the cake is in black and white!

Relznik Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:29pm
post #40 of 44

You're welcome...  and thank you!  I was very lucky that the official photographer was kind enough to let me use those pics!  The stunning venue where the pics were taken is Blenheim Palace orangery.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:18am
post #41 of 44

The stand is white. I didn't look at the picture and thought I had used my silver stand. The guy that built my cupcake stand for me also built the white cake stand.

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 9:17am
post #42 of 44

I have had tons of success at bridal shows.  The last one I had a 10X10 booth and they provided a 6 foot table.  I brought with me two 4 footers and made an L shape with one and put the other table behind the 6" table provided to use as my serving table. I did 3 flavors done as sheet cakes and brought my fabulous cousin as my assistant - she was in charge of cutting and handing out samples. She had a separate knife and server set for each flavor of cake.  We gave everyone who wanted a piece one or two if they asked.  There was no limit really.  The show was expecting to have about 350 brides so I brought 400 servings that were cut into finger sized pieces and served on a napkin.  Forks were placed in a holder on the table.  I had people coming back for more and other vendors coming from the other side of the expo saying they heard my cake was fabulous.  I like serving pieces because it draws people in and engages them.  It makes it easier to strike up conversation and get them excited about the cake.  They don't usually take a piece of cake on a napkin and run to the next booth as I have seen then do with cupcakes.  I have had many referrals from other vendors and many birthday or other event bookings from people who were at the expo.  I figure you are not just there to market yourself to the brides.  You want every person with a birthday to order one of your cakes and you want to make friends with as many vendors as you can since those are going to be the repeat clients/referrals.  I have made some fantastic contacts at the expos!  At this show the brides were asked to vote for the vendor they felt they had the best connection with and who had the nicest display/product.  Guess who won?!?  ME! YAY!

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 9:20am
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvand 

I have had tons of success at bridal shows.  The last one I had a 10X10 booth and they provided a 6 foot table.  I brought with me two 4 footers and made an L shape with one and put the other table behind the 6" table provided to use as my serving table. I did 3 flavors done as sheet cakes and brought my fabulous cousin as my assistant - she was in charge of cutting and handing out samples. She had a separate knife and server set for each flavor of cake.  We gave everyone who wanted a piece one or two if they asked.  There was no limit really.  The show was expecting to have about 350 brides so I brought 400 servings that were cut into finger sized pieces and served on a napkin.  Forks were placed in a holder on the table.  I had people coming back for more and other vendors coming from the other side of the expo saying they heard my cake was fabulous.  I like serving pieces because it draws people in and engages them.  It makes it easier to strike up conversation and get them excited about the cake.  They don't usually take a piece of cake on a napkin and run to the next booth as I have seen then do with cupcakes.  I have had many referrals from other vendors and many birthday or other event bookings from people who were at the expo.  I figure you are not just there to market yourself to the brides.  You want every person with a birthday to order one of your cakes and you want to make friends with as many vendors as you can since those are going to be the repeat clients/referrals.  I have made some fantastic contacts at the expos!  At this show the brides were asked to vote for the vendor they felt they had the best connection with and who had the nicest display/product.  Guess who won?!?  ME! YAY!

here's some pics of my displays and my booth.  hope this helps!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.486079714764458.112023.146651255373974&type=1&l=f7363bc4c8

experimenting Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 8:04am
post #44 of 44

AThanks for clarifying cai0312!

Thanks for responding and sharing a picture kvand! My booth will be the same size as yours with an 8' table included. I also plan on bringing my 6' table and forming the 2 tables into an L shape, so it's nice to see that yours worked well. Good point on people grabbing a cupcake and running off. I actually plan to have my samples sort of towards the corner if my L shape so that people have to walk into my booth to get one. Also a great point about selling more than just wedding cakes. I'll keep that in mind :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%