Royal Icing Isn't Hardening?!

Baking By MeghFarr Updated 13 Feb 2013 , 6:04pm by Marianna46

MeghFarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghFarr Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 6

AI've been making Antonia's royal icing for over a year now. I've never had an issue like this... I frosted cookies last night and now 24 hours later I can still put my finger in them and create a dent. The top layer is dried and looks normal but the stuff underneath is super soft!! I'm just wondering what in the world could have happened!!! The only thing different I can think of is, this icing sat overnight in airtight containers pre dyed. When I went to use it, I mixed it up by hand to make sure it was uniform and started flooding... Any ideas?! Can I not store the royal icing like this and then use it? Should i have put it in the fridge?? How long can I keep it?

Thanks in advance! :)

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 12:31am
post #2 of 6

Did your RI set up like it usually does when you made it? The only thing I can think of is that there might have been a little grease in your mixture (a stray drop of egg yolk or a tiny spot of grease on the beaters or the bowl or even the container you stored it in). This can ruin royal icing, although I honestly don't know if it will keep it from drying. This is a puzzler. 

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 12:48am
post #3 of 6

Maybe oil got in it. I use the same containers only for royal icing!  Or use metal or glass bowls.

MeghFarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghFarr Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 1:44am
post #4 of 6

AI don't think it was an oil issue because I frosted other cookies with the same frosting the day before and the cookies hardened just fine it's just these particular batch of cookies that I did the next night that are no longer drying. ?!?! I don't know so weird!

So I can save the royal icing for a few days without it affecting anything? I've always made it fresh with every batch so I have no idea about the rules of storing!!!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6

I make royal icing with meringue powder all the time and it last a couple weeks in an airtight container. I store it mixed with the color, never have had a problem. I am not familiar with egg white royal. 

Good Luck.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 6

Just in case grease ever is an issue, here's what I do to prevent the problem: I give everything I'm going to use for whipping egg whites - bowls; beaters and storage containers - a good rinsing with white vinegar and a final one with clear water first. Vinegar is one of the best grease cutters there is, among its many virtues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%