Does Anyone Out There Use The Cake Boss Software?

Business By Corinne77 Updated 13 Feb 2013 , 2:32am by vgcea

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 7

Pros? Cons? What do you think about it? Is there any other software out there that you use to track spending, expenses, profits? How about with help on pricing?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 7
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 7

ATo help with pricing we just used an Excel spreadsheet to plug in costs, and for tracking expenses/invoices/orders/etc. we used QuickBooks since it connects to Turbotax and makes filing your business tax return easy.

If you are not comfortable using Excel then Cake Boss might be worth it for you, but you'll still need to either get accounting software or hire an accountant.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 7

I bought it in December, because I had always estimated my costs via paper and pencil, and I was hoping to have things more organized and to be able to understand my pricing better. In fact, I was hoping it would help me devise a consistent pricing model. But I am having a lot of trouble making it work, and I'm really frustrated. Mostly because I forked over my $140 and it's just sitting there. Every time I give it a go, I end up really frustrated. 

jen

Corinne77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corinne77 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 1:55am
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone! I read some of the other threads and they were really helpful. Ellavanilla - it seems like it does take some time to get set up, but according to many posts, it's really worth it. Plus, I think there is a 10% discount from Cake Central. I hope you got to use it.

Jason - I'm pretty good with Excel. Not sure I'll use Turbo Tax for my taxes though, so that is something I'll need to consider with the Quickbooks recommendation.  Thanks!!

Thanks again everyone!

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 2:12am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I bought it in December, because I had always estimated my costs via paper and pencil, and I was hoping to have things more organized and to be able to understand my pricing better. In fact, I was hoping it would help me devise a consistent pricing model. But I am having a lot of trouble making it work, and I'm really frustrated. Mostly because I forked over my $140 and it's just sitting there. Every time I give it a go, I end up really frustrated. 

jen

The best thing about Cake Boss software is learning that there's not a consistent price when it comes to cakes, unless you want to under sale yourself. For example, I use to have a set price for my cakes, but an 8" round BC is not the same as one with fondant and figurines. Every cake is different in complexity and design, despite the size similarities. That's the best thing about the software. It does take some time to set up your software, like price per ingredient, expenses, company info, logo and other things. But if you take the time, you'll love it!

My favorite application is the shopping list made after you complete a cake. So I know what I used and need. Not to mention the instant invoice and discount feature.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 2:32am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

jen

What specifically are you having trouble with? The initial set up, putting all your data etc can be a little overwhelming, so don't try to do it all at once. When I got mine, I made sure to put in my master ingredients. Other things like recipes, master materials I added as I went. Their customer service is pretty awesome, so give them a holler too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%