Anyone Watch The Next Great Baker? *spoiler*

Lounge By tsal Updated 17 Feb 2013 , 9:34pm by kikiandkyle

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:35am
post #1 of 12

I was really hoping that Jen would win the competition (although I knew that Ashley would because she was just such a strong competitor).  Ashley is extremely talented and totally deserved to win though!

I was so totally disappointed to see Gretel-Ann stoop to the level of messing with her competitors' ovens and hiding cookie sheets so that the other competitors couldn't bake.  I was honestly totally outraged.  The other competitors were competing based on their own talent/ability - not cheating. 

I went to Gretel-Ann's FB page to see what kind of a response she got and it's really bad.  Lots of hateful messages.  I think her 'being creative' as she put it (when describing the underhanded tactics) has really worked against her in the end.

What did you think?

11 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 5:40am
post #2 of 12

Ashley may have lost her temper, but I'd much rather work with someone who tells me what she thinks than with someone who will stab me in the back just to get ahead.  One you can meet head on, the other is just a sneak, and I've no respect for sneaks.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 7:05am
post #3 of 12

i'm just really glad that i didn't watch the finale with my kids.  I guess that in the end she didn't 'win' but it is a really bad thing when cheating is just glossed over and shown as 'crafty' by an adult.  I really wish that Buddy had come down harder on her and called her out on her cheating.  Obviously the family didn't know how it was edited to say that they would want a saboteur in their kitchen?  i'd hope...

tsal Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 12

My 8 yr old has watched with me all season and I was disgusted that I had to have a conversation with him about fair competition and cheating.  Although we did have that conversation once before after Lance Armstrong came out of the cheating closet.

I had a dream that I entered a cake competition and Gretel-Ann was poking me with toothpicks and saying, 'It's not personal - it's just a competition!"

I messaged Buddy Valastro this morning to express my unhappiness.  I don't watch tv often and I can't remember ever being worked up about a tv show, but I want to be a good example for my son and show him that when you witness something unfair, you have to speak up!  You cannot change what happened, but it could possibly make things better in similar situations in the future.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 12

I was rooting for Jen and Ashley...altho my husband doesn't watch the show, he was forced to. I had to get away from the show because I had a call from a long, lost friend....and when I got back on the couch, my hubby was all hyped up against Gretel-Ann. Ashley may have blurted out at the last minute...and it kind of smeared her image...but it's true as what others said, I'd rather work with someone who wouldn't stab me in the back. Gretel-Ann was devious and what kind of example is that for someone who is more experienced to cheat or deceive someone. How can someone raise up the temp without telling the other baker? I've watched Top Chef and no chefs ever do that to anyone whether it was a competition or not....

Am glad Ashley won...now she has to win back Buddy's family's belief in her....

tsal Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 12

For me, Ashley's outburst paled in comparison to the cheating.  I agree that she should have kept it together and it's something that she has acknowledged in herself form earlier in the season when she had it out with Paul and made a comment about his wife. 

At least she recognizes that in herself - unlike the saboteur who thinks it's perfectly ok to cheat.

tsal Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 12

Buddy has disabled posts to his FB wall - I wonder if this has anything to do with it...

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 12

I too was rooting for the under dog Greta lynn UNTIL she cheated and sabotaged the time on the ovens of others and stealing trays of others. That is poor taste, mean and rude to say the least, she should have been disqualified..  So glad Ashley won after that..

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 12

AWhat bothered me most about Gretel Ann is that she kept calling it "competition!" Cheating is not part of competition!!

I was also very disappointed & bothered by Buddy's response.

I'm just telling you that if I ever got lucky enough to have a competition show, I would toss any participant caught cheating. Immediately!!

cakeykathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeykathy Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 12

Totally agree on all counts.  Sometimes people will undermine others to benefit themselves.  Gretel Ann has done this right from the get go and took pleasure in plotting to bring her competitors down.  I certainly would not want someone like that working for me.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 8:57pm
post #11 of 12

Very disappointing and disrepectful behavior by GretelAnn - throughout the show.  While I was mildly curious about who would win I didn't watch it last night. Instead I watched Fashion Police with Joan Rivers and crew give their critique on Grammy Awards fashions.  At least you know (and expect!) snide, crass and rude behavior from that show.  I don't appreciate the same behavior when I'm watching a cake show for cryin' out loud!

Theresa

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 12

A lot of the time the producers of these shows 'encourage' the cheating, from what I've heard about this show (contestants having to find and pay for their own accommodation etc) it wouldn't surprise me if Gretel Ann was set up a little. I hope so for her sake. Maybe she knew she wasn't going to win and was fooled by talk of notable characters getting their own shows etc. It will bite her on the butt when she gets home and people give her stick for it.

Personally I think winning because you cheated cheapens the win so much that its not worth it. Win because you're the best, not because you tripped up the others. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%