Open Lid On Cake... How Do I Do It?!

Decorating By SonyaE Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 10:55pm by LeslieBruckman

SonyaE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SonyaE Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 6

AHello everyone - I'm very very new to the world of cake making/decorating however have recently been obsessed with learning on my own! I'll be making a cake for my mothers birthday which incorporates bits and pieces about her so I'm planning on making a large squares dice cake with the top opened and a lobster popping out ... Similar to the lobster in the pot cake however with a dice cake. My question is .. Is it possible to make the opened lid out of rice cereal treats covered in fondant held with dowels or would a simple cardboard lid covered in fondant work best? I would like to try to keep it all edible but I understand sometimes its just hard to do. Thanks for all your help!! I've attached a picture of my very first cake ever! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2919068/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

5 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 6

search in the forum, there was a post and responses about that not too long ago.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SonyaE Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

AWonderful! Thanks for the help!

SonyaE Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 6

AIt worked out well considering it was my first fondant covered cake and first time moulding with RKT! [IMG][IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2932059/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

LeslieBruckman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeslieBruckman Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 6

Just so you know for future reference, you can buy lid dummies on *************** and they are only about 50 cents. You basically fill the "top" of the box with fondant tissue paper and whatever else you are putting in the box and then lay the lid on top and attach at the back with royal icing. It's a bit fiddly... you sort of have to nip and tuck and tissue paper to cover up any unsightly areas you don't want to show, but it's easy enough to get the hang of. I usually go back in and any of the box fillings the box lid actually rests on just add a touch of royal icing there as well... that way you know it's not going to slip anywhere or fall off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%