Hello Everyone...new Member Here...with A Question.

Decorating By Firstladybakes Updated 11 Feb 2013 , 1:55am by karina_lisa2010

Firstladybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstladybakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 10

This has probably been asked a million times, but tears have brought me here because I never know what to charge for a cake. Could I post some pictures and you guys tell me what you would charge? I've only done three so far, I'm just starting and have a lot to learn. You can critique me as well. Thank you.

Anyways..thanks for reading my post.

9 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 10

FirstLadyBakes,

Yes.  This is one of the most often asked questions.  

Here are a few helpful links:  

http://www.cakeboss.com/PricingGuideline.aspx

http://cakecentral.com/t/698772/price-grid-by-cakes-divine

http://cakecentral.com/t/148801/alices-cake-pricing-matrix

for fun:

http://cakecentral.com/t/753906/price-the-cake/45

http://cakecentral.com/t/753829/price-the-cake/15

The first ? our members will ask is if you are legally able to sell cakes.  Then, everyone will recommend that you set your prices considering the time it takes, your level of expertise, and the cost of your ingredients, supplies, & overhead.  I will also recommend checking to compare pricing in your area.

In my area, pricing for tiered cakes starts at $3.75-$8 per serving.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 10

Also, wanted to say that the cake is absolutely beautiful.  That is A LOT of work including gumpaste topper & flowers.  Price accordingly!

I am guessing that is a 6" & 10"?  Is it covered with fondant?  how many flowers?  Royal icing or buttercream roses on the cupcakes?  how many cupcakes?  Lots of details I would need to know before offering a quote.

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 10

WOW! great job! If you hadn't said you're new to cake decorating I never would have guessed!thumbs_up.gif Looks like you've been at it forever!

Firstladybakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you! The cake was a 6 and 10, vanilla almond bottom with raspberry filling , and the top was chocolate with a whiskey ganache. I did 50 cupcakes each with a gumpaste rose and the topper is all gumpaste roses, as well as the beads. Yes, it's a fondant cake. The cupcakes have a small fondant embossed heart as well.

I just made a birthday cake for a "friend" and although we discussed prices before I made it, today when she picked it up she said she was a little shocked about the price. It was a 10" chocolate 6 layer cake with chocolate buttercream and raspberry. She wanted her husbands amphibian car on it, so I did a beach scene.

Firstladybakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you! I'm just looking at all the cakes here, and some are gorgeous. I feel a little intimidated to even be posting here! I have a lot to learn, but it's so much fun.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:31am
post #7 of 10

We don't know how much you have to pay for groceries or rent or utilities or paper goods.

We have no clue of how long it takes you to make your cakes.

We have no clue of how much you want to charge per hour for your work.

Please don't ask for prices.  We cannot possibly be fair to you.

If you live in the USA or Canada, then you may not be legally permitted to sell cakes at all. Your state/province either regulates the sale of foods from home, or prohibits them.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:46am
post #8 of 10

My answer as to what to charge is "Whatever you want."  Every time I read posts about prices and opinions about prices, they are extremely varied.  So charge according to how you feel about the work and ingredients that went into the cake.

Your cakes are very nice!

cassiet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiet Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:14am
post #9 of 10

FirstLadyBakes, don't be intimidated, your cake is amazing!  Don't sell yourself short :-) Anybody would be delighted to get a cake like that!

karina_lisa2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karina_lisa2010 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:55am
post #10 of 10

Firstly I think you cakes are absolutely beautiful! You attention to detail is amazing. However I could not give you an estimate as to what to charge because I  do not know what you spent to make you cakes. I own a business with my husband (not making cakes but the principals are still the same). You can't just assign a number to your work. you have to factor in you groceries (supplies), your labor, you electricity etc... to make sure you are payed fairly for you work. you don't want to charge so cheap you won't brake even  yet you don't want to charge to much that you won't get an customers. Maybe start by looking at what other people are charging in you area. Also, I would make sure your business is legal and that you are allowed to make cake and sell cakes. Your cakes are amazing!! Keep it up!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%