Looking For A Moist Lemon Cake Recipe With No Butter

Baking By tsal Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 12:35am by Newcakebaker_2012

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I want to make a scratch lemon cake with a raspberry chambord smbc this week for Valentine's day.  I always refrigerate my cakes so I need a recipe that stands up to refrigeration and I have found that butter and refrigeration do not mix.  Every time I make a cake that calls for butter, I end up with a beautiful cake out of the oven, but then the texture changes when it is refrigerated and it is never quite the same afterwards.

My chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet all have oil instead of butter and are moist and perfect out of the fridge.

I did find a lemon cake recipe that looks amazing, but calls for butter - can I substitute oil for butter 1:1?

9 replies
erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 10

When I do lemon cake I just add lemon zest to my vanilla cake.  Take a bit of the sugar and smush it together with some zest (to release the oils).

tsal Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 10

Great!  How much zest should I add?

mariel9898 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariel9898 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:06am
post #4 of 10

If you are happy with your vanilla cake, use that recipe but substitute natural lemon extract for half the vanilla and add the zest of one large lemon. Use a rasp grater so the zest is very fine and mix it in towards the beginning.

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:50am
post #5 of 10

You can also bump up the lemony-ness by making a simple syrup with lemon juice and sugar in equal parts, and some lemon rind. Let that simmer on your stove until all the sugar is dissolved, strain the rind and use it to brush on your cake layers. It really amps up the flavor.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 10

I add two to three tablespoons of lemon extract, and the zest of one lemon.

tsal Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you!  I will test it out today.

OT: AnnieCahill - is that a Boston terrier in your avatar photo?  So adorable!  :)

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 10

Yes!  That is my Boston Geoffrey.  We also have his sister, Bridget.  They are a riot!

Good luck with your cake!

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 10

There is an amazing cake by the Cake Mix Doctor that uses vanilla cake, lemon pudding, lemon juice and zest, and lemon yogurt. It's delcious and moist. No one can ever tell it's not from scratch (most of my cakes are).

Newcakebaker_2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 12:35am
post #10 of 10

Hi Tsal

I'm a,so looking for a lemon cake recipe with no butter for the same reasons as yours...would you mind sharing the recipe you used?

thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%