Family Discounts

Business By bittersweety Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 3:53am by keepcalmandbake

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 16

AHow do you discount for family? I typically do 15%off for family and close friends...but if its a party I'm also invited to I typically do it for free... anyone else?

15 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 16

I give deep discounts.   My nieces/nephews, sisters/brothers-in law get free birthday cakes.    If they order a cakes for someone else I don't discount the sheet cakes much, but I will give deep discounts for the big orders.  

Suuske Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suuske Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 16

Close family always get my cakes for free. Relatives further removed I MAY choose to give 10% discount. People who ask discount, will get none. 

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 16

I discount close family and friends 10% across the board, that way I don't have them comparing or complaining if they happen to discuss it. If I'm invited to a function and asked to bring the cake, I don't charge. But I keep the cake simple. If a larger, intricate or speciality cake is requested, then we're back to the 10%. Your time is still your time as well as your cost. If they truly know what you do and how much you put in to it, they won't complain and will be happy to pay. The only exception to this is if I want to try something new, then I only ask for supplies paid for, my time is free because they're giving me an opportunity to experiment.

I also agree "Suuske" for the family members that want a $200 cake for $50, I give them the full price since they expect something for nothing and don't value my time, effort or talent.

Happy Baking Everyone!!!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 16

My nieces, nephews, mom, dad, grandmas, and sisters get free cakes for their birthdays only. If for anything else 15% off.  Other family and friends, 15%. I don't do discounts if we are invited though unless it is in the previous category. 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 4:32am
post #6 of 16

I will deeply discount cakes for my boyfriend's family. I work out of my kitchen, so I don't have the overhead of full bakeries. I will charge for cost x2 but no labor. I will make a couple bucks, but I also want/need the connections through those parties/cakes. Usually, a friend asks about a cake, and, depending on the friend connection, I may discount, but not more than 15%.

I also make the family members swear not to discuss their cost of cakes with anyone.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 4:33am
post #7 of 16

I don't. If they ask for something, it's an order like any client, same price. If I offer, then it's free.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:08am
post #8 of 16

I also usually go by the rule, if I offer it's free, and if they order they pay. There have been a few exceptions for friends that I knew could really use the break, but I am careful about telling people that I do a 'discount'.

You would be amazed how fast that gets out, and then everyone expects it, lol.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:02am
post #9 of 16

AI never charge my immediate family. I also go with "if I offer it's free. " my sister is the most difficult customer a person could ever have. I should really charge double. If she is ordering for work or a party she pays me.

I discount the people who have been long time supporters of my work.

The mother of a friend called me last week with a detailed list of acquaintances she was going to give cupcakes to along with my card. How could I charge her? She had a marketing plan! :-D.

My niece and nephew plan their birthday cakes for months. They seem to think I can create anything from cake! It's my delight to show up with something special.

maddy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1977 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 16

I'm glad to hear how everyone else discount their cakes. I asked my self the same question every time.

ALL my relatives wants FREE cakes for every occasion. I feel abused at times and I have started to charge them as I would any other person for the exception of a few close friends or close family that I will ask for them to at least buy the ingredients. I also do Free if I offer but only to close ones and kids specially. :)

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 16

I've been very abused by family (cough, cough, Mother) so that no one gets a discount.  The worst was when she started ordering special full sheet and small tiered cakes for her to "take" to HER friends parties.  She would not give them my number to make the order, but she would order it and flip me a $5.  Yes, she thought that $5 was a good price with her "family discount" for a full sheet.

No more discounts.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 16

I wanted to add that though I don't usually charge mom/dad/sis, they always offer to pay. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:23pm
post #13 of 16

I have no family near me so I'm not subjected to any request, thank God. I don't even have time to make birthday cakes for my kids on their birthdays, so I doubt that I'd be making free cakes for relatives in any way shape or form.

eatmycakebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmycakebaby Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 16

I CHARGE THEM ALL  BOW

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 16

AThere is another thread posted on here " how much would you charge for this cake " where the original poster is asking our opinions on how much to charge for a cake that she posted. Anyways she is a beginner just starting out and is getting practice on her cakes by selling them to her family I feel and its just my personal opinion that this will bite her in the butt simply because her family will expect to pay little to nothing for her cakes even as she gets better at making them now that being said I'm just a hobby baker so I usually just end up gifting the cake I do feel my MIL takes advantage of this as she calls as she calls a lot wanting cakes for family , friends and special occasions she as always says she'll pay but I have yet to see any money from her.

keepcalmandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepcalmandbake Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:53am
post #16 of 16

I always give my family free cakes.however, when they ask me to make cakes for their friends as gifts, I tell the to buy the ingredients. I love decorating cakes, I never really enjoy charging. I cringe when I put a price on my cakes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%