Need Help Fixing Fondant Color. Please Help Me.

Decorating By jazzy442 Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 5:42pm by jazzy442

jazzy442 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzy442 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 2:06am
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me. I`m trying to make my daughter a One Direction cake for her birthday this weekend. I have never used or made fondant before and am having trouble getting the colors right. For the red color on the Union Jack flag so far it looks the color a school pencil eraser. LOL. Is there anyway I can fix it to get more of a RED color?

10 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 2:11am
post #2 of 11

AAdd more color! It takes an obscene amount of red (or black) to make those colors pop.

jazzy442 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 2:23am
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the quick response. Will go add more red. I was wondering about the blue as well. Will try to add a bit more black to see if that makes it look right. :)

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:01am
post #4 of 11

ABlue isn't as bad, none of the colors are as bad as red and black. In fact, after I make red, or black, I will often wind up scooping extra color out of the yellow or whatever, before bi mix it in,, because I get in the mind set of needing a lot, and get carried away ;-) you can always add more, but you cannot take it out.

jazzy442 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:12am
post #5 of 11

Thanks again for the help. Wow. That did take a lot of red. But its where it needs to be now. I hope I don`t screw up and I can make the cake look decent. Have never worked with fondant before and am not very artistic. LOL. So jealous of all the cakes everyone has posted on this site.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:16am
post #6 of 11

ARed does need a lot of coloring. Your color will also deepen once your fondant sits for a bit. I just did a big bowl of red buttercream today and I felt like I used a whole bottle of the stuff! Good luck

pookmyster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookmyster Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:30am
post #7 of 11

AYou need an abundance of food coloring to achieve black and red. Bad thing about it...it taste unpleasant after adding so much color. Better to buy to ready made fondant red. If you only need small amount use piping gel

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 11

AI'm doing a One Direction cake this weekend too :-) mine is going to be red and black and white. With all the boys names on it, ug! All the lettering is going to kill me, I'll have to see if DH will come help me cut them out. ;-)

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookmyster 

You need an abundance of food coloring to achieve black and red. Bad thing about it...it taste unpleasant after adding so much color. Better to buy to ready made fondant red. If you only need small amount use piping gel

It does taste bad! I discourage clients from covering an entire cake in dark colors for this reason. It also helps when i point out that their guests will be walking around with purple mouths and teeth! LOL  

pieceofcaketx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcaketx Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 11

If you let it rest for at least a few hours (better overnight) the red will darken and you won't need to use so much color. Too much color will "break" your fondant and make it crumbly and tear and just a big mess.

When I make red I add enough to make it a dark pink and then wrap it up and let it sit, the longer the better and it turns a nice bright red. Same with black I make a dark grey and then let it rest.

jazzy442 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the replies. I used a red that said no taste on it??? It did use almost the whole little jar. It is definitely red now. We shall see if anyone eats it or not. We`ve never had a cake with fondant on it before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%