Fondant Recipe

Decorating By gatorpa Updated 7 Feb 2013 , 10:00pm by AnaB4

gatorpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorpa Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 2

I'm very new to cake decorating and have only done a few for my kids birthdays.  I've always used a boxed fondant that I buy at the store but I keep hearing about a marshmallow fondant.  Can anyone give me some good recipes to make at home?

Also I've heard of something called "sugar glue" to attach the fondant to the cake.  I have no idea what this is.  Is this better than buttercream icing?

Thanks! 

1 reply
AnaB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaB4 Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 2

I recently started using a new MMF recipe from Elizabeth Marek.  You should be able to google it.  Otherwise, MMF is simply a bag of marshmallows, melted with two tbsp water.  Add some glycerin, vanilla and or butter flavoring and mix with up to 2 lbs of powdered sugar (until you get a ball of dough like consistency). Let it sit, wrapped in saran wrap (coated with shortening) over night and it's ready to use.  Again, if you google just marshmallow fondant, you'll get lots of recipes you can follow.

As for the sugar glue, that is for attaching fondant to fondant (like attaching a circle shape to a fondant covered cake) or when making figures or other fondant/gumpaste decorations.  You use the sugar glue to adhere pieces to each other (an arm to a body, etc). Sugar glue is not used to stick the fondant to the cake. You would still use buttercream or ganache for that.

Hope that helps!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%