Mff Tearing

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 31 Oct 2013 , 4:01am by charsbakedtreat

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 16

I have made this 100 times, but the last 2 batches have had no stretch and are tearing! I have a cake due in 2 hours that looks like hell. Has this happened to anyone? How did you fix it? I use the 3 of everything recipe. plus Premier white morsels. What gives it it's stretch? What takes it away? I need to figure this out....

15 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 16

i have no idea, cake buddy, but i feel your pain and i'm rootin' for yah

did you by any chance boil your gelatin?

that would be one way to kill the stretch

sending thousands of cake angels to the rescue

well they're maybe less hands on and more hovering type moral support

but they have been dispatched to ky!

zooming through a window near you

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 16

AHumm.... I nuke the geletin and cream one minute, like the recipe says. Then add the rest of the stuff and nuke 2 minutes, then I stir until my morsels are dissolved. Maybe I'll use 80% power next time, and see what happens.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 16

this says to add boiling water to it or

go for 30-40 seconds on high in the microwave

http://www.knoxgelatine.com/basics.htm

but going past boil with gelatin is gonna kill it

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 8:48am
post #5 of 16

Once I tried adding just a little bit of corn syrup and EDIT: GLYCERIN not gelatin (like 1/4 tsp of each). Seemed to work, not sure which actually did the trick though. I use the 2 of everything recipe though.

Long night... studying :/

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 16

AAre you using Marshmallow Fondant or Michele Foster's Fondant (MFF)? I am confused since I am using MFF this week for the first time and I'm concerned you are having difficulties.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 16

AMFF. Title clearly states it, besides you don't heat up gelatin for mmf.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 16

ALast night I ripped the fondant off the cake and re-iced it with buttercream and gave the lady a deep discount today. Thank God I could, I have to get it figured out before I get to a cake that really needs it.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 16

AOh, and I tried making some MMF, and mixing them together, but I probably needed to let it set.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 16

AMy bad. I saw 3 of everything and was confused. I see now where she says gelatin

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 16

I've never had a problem with MMF and wedding white Merkins chocolate.  Great stretchability, but not too much. 

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 12:24am
post #12 of 16

AI've never had a problem with it either.

JamieCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieCake Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 16

Hello,

I've been cruising here for many months and finally decided to join today because I have a question re MFF!

I decided to give the MFF a try for the first time.  I've used commercial bought before.  I let it rest in the fridge for 2 days, and took it out and kneaded the fondant.  In an attempt to cover the square dummy for practice, it tore apart at the top seam.  I was so afraid so I think I didn't roll it out thin enough but I have no idea why it tore.  Does anyone know what I more I can add so it has more elacity to the fondant and not tear?  Also, the weight of the draped fondant was too great so it was starting to tear.  I had no chance since as soon as I draped it, it started tearing.

MFF recipe was bit confusing to me as there was 2 or 3 recipes running around.  One original, one edited and one by someone else.  Which is the corrected version?  Clearly, the reason why everyone is getting confused is because the one dated 3/24/2009 has a title of "Updated" fondant and thinks that is the latest one.  However, if you go by the date, Michele Foster's fondant dated 4/4/2009 is the latest version and that calls for 2.2.2 which is different than 3.3.3.

I tried this recipe with 3.3.3 (dated 3/24/09) thinking this is the latest version and while it was ok, it tore like crazy.  Is there any chance to save this?  Also, everyone raves about how tasty this is but to me, it's not really tasty.  I only can taste PS and not any of the vanilla.  I used a dark vanilla extract and thought how stupid I was to cover a wedding cake but some how the color got diluted which was great!

Please help someone!  All the link that I've searched through from here which I thought would answer my question was dead...

Michele Foster’s Fondant (April 4, 2009)

• 1/2 cup cream
  • 2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 2Tbsp. butter
  • 2Tbsp. glycerin
  • 2 tsp. clear vanilla
  • dash salt
  • Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar

Michele Foster’s Updated Fondant (Dated 3/24/2009)

• 1/2 cup cream
  • 3 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 Tbsp. glycerin
  • 2 tsp. clear vanilla
  • dash salt
  • Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar

Michele Foster’s Delicious Fondant (Dated April 17, 2007)

• 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 packs gelatin (6 tsp – for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
  • 3 Tbsp glycerin
  • 2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
  • dash salt
  • 3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
  • *note – all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CC’er)

charsbakedtreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charsbakedtreat Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 16

AI use MFDF and I have never had a problem with it, I don't put it in the fridge to rest I leave it on then bench. I can't find the link but there is a thread on here that has all the tips/frequently asked questions answered

Edited http://cakecentral.com/t/625727/mff information

This is the link. For the record I follow the 3.3.3. Rule as the MFDF recipe states

JamieCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieCake Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:52am
post #15 of 16

AWeird! I wonder why mine is tearing... What would make it bit more pliable? Bit more glycerin?

charsbakedtreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charsbakedtreat Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 4:01am
post #16 of 16

AWould try adding a little bit more glycerin maybe 1tsp at a time until you get it right? And I use crisco here in Australia for my fondant but I would just work more shortening in until it's right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%