Swiss Meringue Vs Italian Meringue And Can I Use One Of These ....

Decorating By sunshinelala Updated 7 Feb 2013 , 7:04pm by kikiandkyle

sunshinelala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshinelala Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 3:49am
post #1 of 5
Quote:

I have never used one of these meringues, I usually use the regular buttercream, but I get complaints that it is too sweet. I tasted a meringue one and I liked it, but not sure if I can use it as I would the regular buttercream because of the egg whites. Can I use it as a crumb coat for a fondant cake? 

Also what is the difference between the two meringues, do they work the same way and its just a preference.? 

Thank you :)

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 4:04am
post #2 of 5

smbc and imbc taste alike. smbc is easier to make. You will see people making it on youtube. I have made imbc lots of time and love it, but now i make smbc , because it is easier to make. People that make both do use it under fondant. They chill it first, before putting the fondant on and they keep it chilled after the fondant until they get ready to deliver. Recipes for both are on this site. On youtube you can search for Dyannbakes making swiss meringue buttercream. It is very easy to make. hth

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 5

There is also a free class on craftsy.com for making a SMBC that is good.  I like the recipe but I do use salted European butter because I like the taste better but that is just my preference.  Have fun with it.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 5

I use SMBC all the time, mainly because of the flavour.  It's very buttery, so if you (or your clients) prefer the taste of butter to the taste of regular BC, then definitely try it.

This is the method and recipe I use...it's quite easy...a little more labour-intensive than regular BC, but worth it, IMO.

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

I use salted butter, and don't add the salt suggested in the recipe, but that's just my choice.  And...I use the egg whites that come in a carton...easier than separating eggs, which for me means putting them on opposite sides of the room.  I can't separate an egg to save my life.  :-)

Keep in mind it doesn't crust, but goes hard (like butter) when you put it in the fridge.  I found that smoothing it using the usual methods (hot spatula, for example) doesn't work nicely on icing I've coloured, as it smears the oils in the butter, leaving colour spotches.  I'm considering going back to crusting buttercream for any coloured cake I need a smooth top on.  However, I love the flavour of SMBC.  So it'll be my mainstay.  :-)

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 5

I have started subbing in one stick of salted butter in my buttercreams, I feel like it just makes that little difference. And I make Rose Levy's neo-classic buttercream with the yolks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%