My First Hang Up. Ha!

Business By Smash Cakery Updated 5 Feb 2013 , 11:33pm by -K8memphis

Smash Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smash Cakery Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 4

A customer contacted me through my website today, and I called her back with the quote for her requested cake. I gave her the size of her cake per her servings need, and told her the price. She asked me a question, and as I was answering it, hung up on me. Ha! I called her back as soon as I realized we got disconnected, and she didn't answer. Hung up, waited 5 minutes, called back. Voicemail again. Left a sweet, professional voicemail with my phone number and the deadline for ordering.

I'm not even upset. I don't need orders from customers who aren't willing to pay for the cake they want. Sorry. And I won't apologize.

My last thread about pricing really opened my eyes.

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 4

a hang up is almost better than someone dumbing down their design and servings and like was mentioned in another thread recently

the chick wanted a $50 discount by changing the color of the icing?

a hang up though ultimately rude does afford a nice smattering of mercy when you start comparing things

party.gif

initiation fee

Smash Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smash Cakery Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 4

Ha! Yes, it was a startling initiation.  thumbs_up.gif

K8, if you dont mind my asking, what is your quote vs. order ratio?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 4

interesting question--for a real ratio--mine would be quite high because i say 'no' much more than i ever say 'yes'

i have like 40 years in on this professionally ~~ 25yrs + in this county where i cannot work from my home

so i have experience working for others and doing cakes for family/friends/charities/church--

i did from home before i knew it wasn't legal--a looooong time ago pre-internet

have started several businesses, food & otherwise

have worn so many hats--batholomew cubbins's got nothing on me  birthday.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%