Cupcake Cake Pricing??

Baking By Lovelyladylibra Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 4:34pm by Lovelyladylibra

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 6

How does the pricing go for these things? Do you charge like you would for a regular cake and price the cupcakes per serving or do you charge per dozen?? I'm lost here.

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 6

A

Original message sent by Lovelyladylibra

How does the pricing go for these things? Do you charge like you would for a regular cake and price the cupcakes per serving or do you charge per dozen?? I'm lost here.

I would go with the regular price for the cupcakes plus any additional labor involved in turning the cupcakes into a cupcake cake.

Sweet N Sassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet N Sassy Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:27am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylibra 

I price them out as to if they are a plan jane cupcake or if they are a specialty cupcake. Then I add on what they want for design and if there is a filling or not. My pricing range from $1.50 to $2.25 per cupcake. I do give a discount when they order multiple dozens. I also think the price reflects on the area you live in. icon_biggrin.gif

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:37am
post #4 of 6

I charge per cupcake, my basic frosted and filled cupcake price is $2, then depending on how they want it decorated I add on extra for labour/ingredients if neccesary.

If it is quite a large order, I will give a discount, but they have to be ordering over 250 regular sized to get that. Simply because for that amount, I can order the dairy at bulk and save money myself.

I was doing per dozen when I first started, simply because I have a minimum order of 1 dozen, but I found customers seemed to like it better when I could show them a price break down per cupcake.

milly123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly123 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, my view is that it isnt about pricing the ingredients and adding extra for profit, its how much you think your expertise is worth. and the more amazing it looks, the higher price you can command.

People will expect to pay more for an eye popping display, i know i would.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

I charge per cupcake, my basic frosted and filled cupcake price is $2, then depending on how they want it decorated I add on extra for labour/ingredients if neccesary.

If it is quite a large order, I will give a discount, but they have to be ordering over 250 regular sized to get that. Simply because for that amount, I can order the dairy at bulk and save money myself.

I was doing per dozen when I first started, simply because I have a minimum order of 1 dozen, but I found customers seemed to like it better when I could show them a price break down per cupcake.

This is how I am now with cake pops. I used to cheat myself when selling by the dozen. And it wasn't the most enjoyable thing to make either. Once I raised my prices and priced them individually I actually started making profit off of them.... And I also don't get as many orders. Which oddly I'm happy about. Id rather focus on my cakes anyway lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%