Gumpaste/fondant

Decorating By tls823 Updated 3 Feb 2013 , 4:18pm by tls823

tls823 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tls823 Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 5:01am
post #1 of 3

I've seen several tutorials where they say that they are using 50/50 Gumpaste and Fondant.  Also, have seen where the instructor just adds Tylose to the fondant.... so here are my questions.

1.  To get 50/50 gumpaste/fondant - Do you actually make up a batch of each and then nead them together?

2.  If you add Tylose to Homemade Marshmallow Fondant.. is it the same as making Gumpaste?

3.  Is Wilton Brand Gumtex the same thing as Tylose?

Thank you for any help available.

2 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 5:27am
post #2 of 3

Hi, you can add 1-2 tsp. wilton gumtex to 1 lb. of wilton fondant(or any fondant) and then you have gumpaste. You have to let it sit for little while , just like if you make it from scratch. Yes, you make  or buy gumpaste and fondant and then mix as much as you want of each and knead together. Yes, adding tylose or gumtex to m/m fondant will make gumpaste also. Mixing it 50/50, gives you a little more working time. I use only gumpaste when i make flowers. Others will say they use the 50/50 mixture for flowers. I want to use gumpaste only because it dries faster and you can roll it thinner and thin the edges better. hth

tls823 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tls823 Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much!

Now I have another question....

Can you substitute Karo Corn Syrup for the Glucose?

Do you even need to add that if you are starting with fondant.  I make my own MMF fondant.

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%