Flavors And Icings!

Decorating By melanieann Updated 3 Feb 2013 , 3:25pm by kikiandkyle

melanieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanieann Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 12:38am
post #1 of 6

I'm new to cake baking and designing. Wondering if you all have any ideas on what icings compliment certain flavors of cakes. Most of my customers enjoy a lemon cake with buttercream icing, which is great, but the combo gets kind of old after a while. I need ideas on icings that compliment cake flavors but pipe-able and decorate-able also.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 12:47am
post #2 of 6

You will get many different ideas as everyone's taste buds are different :)

Any b'cream can be changed by changing the flavoring used in it.  Try reading some of the recipes posted on this site.  Change the flavorings to match or contrast with the cake flavor.  There are no special icings that go especially with certain cake flavors.  Many people like Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue b'creams - I don't as to me it's like eating a stick of butter straight out of the frig:( ; some like non-dairy whipped creams such as Rich's Bettercreme or Frostin Pride; other like me much prefer something like this one:  http://cakecentral.com/a/2-icing

You will probably have to try several before you settle on what is the perfect one for you and your family.

melanieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanieann Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 9:04am
post #3 of 6

AThank you :)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 6

APersonally, I like lemon cake with a tart raspberry filling & buttercream.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 6

Lime filling also makes a nice change from plain buttercream.  So does white chocolate (try it as a ganache filling).

I use the Boyajian oils and flavours that are widely available across North America, for true natural fruit flavours.  You add them directly to buttercream made with less vanilla. Their raspberry is extraordinary.

And this may be personal taste, but a lemon cake with lemon icing and a drizzle of unsweetened (or bittersweet)  chocolate on top of each layer of the filling is a very unusual but excellent flavour combination.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 6

There's cream cheese icing too, I like adding white chocolate to that. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%