Kitchen Aid Pasta Roller Attachement? To Get Or Not To- Help

Decorating By SavvySavingWithStephanie Updated 28 Apr 2013 , 6:44pm by CasperCakeCreations

SavvySavingWithStephanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavvySavingWithStephanie Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 3:10am
post #1 of 19

I don't cover my cakes in fondant at least not yet. But I do use a lot of fondant as decorations on my cakes. Is is a good smart investment to buy a pasta roller attachment for my kitchenaid? 

I ask this because I don't want to spent $100 on one if its not worth my time.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated. 

Anyone with one or has used one would also be of help. 

Thanks

18 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 3:15am
post #2 of 19

I know a lot of people who swear by it...

I don't care for it at all.thumbsdown.gif

I prefer to roll mine by hand using The Mat.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 3:28am
post #3 of 19

I love, love, love mine.    I was lucky and got it at Boscov.com years ago and only paid about $50.   I also hardly cover cakes but do tons of accents.   

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 3:29am
post #4 of 19

My boss bought me a pasta roller from Marshalls for 20.00 I love using it. I just clamp it on my work station and don't have to rely on my mixer. 

SavvySavingWithStephanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavvySavingWithStephanie Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 3:32am
post #5 of 19

Thats a good Idea to look into Thanks for the heads up. 

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 4:02am
post #6 of 19

I love mine. I started with the hand one and it did not work well for me. I use it for flowers, stripes, strips for bows, everything. Like you my cakes are buttercream but lots of fondant accents.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 4:07am
post #7 of 19

I'd be lost without mine.  So worth the money.  

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 5:01am
post #8 of 19

If you can get one that works right, its great.  I used one in a class and it saved so much time I bought one soon after.  However, it proved to be unusable.  It left lots of black grease all ever everything that went thru it :(  I tried cleaning it, but nothing helped, it still left black grease all over the fondant.  It was the KitchenAId attachment, BTW.  I know lots of other people have had the same problem with them at that time, and I know some who have gotten lucky and got one that worked right. 

melanie-1221 Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 5:08am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2 

If you can get one that works right, its great.  I used one in a class and it saved so much time I bought one soon after.  However, it proved to be unusable.  It left lots of black grease all ever everything that went thru it :(  I tried cleaning it, but nothing helped, it still left black grease all over the fondant.  It was the KitchenAId attachment, BTW.  I know lots of other people have had the same problem with them at that time, and I know some who have gotten lucky and got one that worked right. 

That is one of the major problems I had with mine right out of the box. 

It still sits in the box because of it.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 8:29am
post #10 of 19

A

Original message sent by melanie-1221

That is one of the major problems I had with mine right out of the box.  It still sits in the box because of it.

Can't you take it back? Surely that would be classed as faulty goods if a food roller leaks non edible oil on a food product.

melanie-1221 Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps 

Can't you take it back? Surely that would be classed as faulty goods if a food roller leaks non edible oil on a food product.

In hindsight, I should have exchanged it.

I kept it because it comes with some other pasta rollers that did end up using to make my pasta. Very disappointed with the large flat roller though icon_sad.gif...and that is the only one that has the issue. The others are fine.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 19

I don't make my gumpaste flowers and fondant decorations in my kitchen (have a designated room), so it wouldn't be convenient for me. Just something to keep in mind.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 3:03am
post #13 of 19

At my shop, I have a dedicated KA mixer with a pasta attachment on it.  We use it constantly.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 2:13am
post #14 of 19

I have been thinking of getting one for my KA but I use the mixer in the kitchen and do my decorations (flowers, etc) at the dining room table and I don't think it would be that productive for me to have it on the mixer.  I am considering getting one that I can have on the table or counter behind me.

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 19

AI just got the KA attachment; however, when I put gum paste or 50/50 though the material isn't smooth. It seems to stick, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 19

AMine will do that if I haven mixed it well enough. Knead it a bit more to make sure it's mixed we'll.

Original message sent by CasperCakeCreations

I just got the KA attachment; however, when I put gum paste or 50/50 though the material isn't smooth. It seems to stick, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 11:21pm
post #17 of 19

Love it.  The sad part is I am on my third one.  I have to replace it about once a year.  They do not make parts for repairs and each time the shaft has snapped into.  I really think I may look into another electric model next time.  

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:21am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperCakeCreations 

I just got the KA attachment; however, when I put gum paste or 50/50 though the material isn't smooth. It seems to stick, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Put a little crisco on either side of the fondant or gumpaste, Just enough to grease it up a little. I've tried using corn starch but it doesn't work as well.

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 19

AThank you for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%