How Do I Determine If I Need Dowels?

Decorating By gcgb53191 Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 3:00am by Vista

gcgb53191 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gcgb53191 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 8

I'm a beginner and I'm making a 3 tier cupcake stand for my friend's birthday. At the top will be a small 6in cake. probably about 2-3 layers (Havent decided yet), covered with fondant and some decorations.

Do I still need to use dowels even if its not a stacked cake or do you use dowels so they cake layers don't cave in even if its one size, would the weight be distributed evenly? I've tried looking online but it only explains for stacked cakes so I'm assuming they're only for stacked cakes but I don't want to mess up so I'm making sure. icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 8

I only use dowels for a tiered cake. 

If you are covering with fondant just be sure to use a recipe that gives you a sturdy / dense cake and you wont have any problems with 3 layers. 

gcgb53191 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 8

Think I'll have a problem if I use a cake mix? (I know its not as good as making it from scratch but she actually likes them so it doesn't matter lol) 

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 8

You can use a box mix, but substitute milk for the water and butter for the oil.  Just a regular box mix won't support the weight of the fondant. 

gcgb53191 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 8

Oh I never use water anyway! Thanks for the advice :) 

Would that be melted butter? 

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 8

AI started out using box cake mixes. I would make the White Almond Sour Cream , or the chocolate version of the same recipe. Those held up wonderfully.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 8

If you are not doing a stacked cake there is no need to add support.  I would not use melted butter in your cake mix nor would I use milk, not using the milk is just my own particular preference.  I do not use cake mixes but I would certainly use the cake extender and that will make it a more firm cake.  Use 1 c flour, 3/4 c sugar, 1 t baking powder an extra egg and 1/2 c water.  You will do this in addition to mixing your cake mix as directed.  It will take a few

minutes longer to bake the cake but the layers will be taller and the texture heavier.  HTH.  icon_smile.gif

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 4 Feb 2013 , 3:00am
post #8 of 8

I use the butter at room temp. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%