Cake Directly On The Seperator Plate

Decorating By taartenmaker Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 4:41pm by taartenmaker

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 20

Hello

Always when I make a pillared cake I use push-in-pillars and i put my cake tiers on a cake board and then on the seperator plate, so can lift it up and off when I want to. A lot of times I see pillared cakes that have the cakes directly on the seperator plate with the boarder and everythinh on it, but how do they do that, do you pipe the boarder at the venue or before transpording. I would love to know how

19 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by taartenmaker 
A lot of times I see pillared cakes that have the cakes directly on the seperator plate with the boarder and everythinh on it, but how do they do that, do you pipe the boarder at the venue or before transpording.

My question is how do you know the cakes are directly on the separator plate?  I think most people use a cardboard the same size as the cake that can't be seen, so you wouldn't know either way if it had a cardboard or not.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 20

I agree with CWR41. With some designs, cake tiers are placed on cardboard circles that are the same width as the cakes. Many of my cakes are done like this - and using the same size makes icing the sides faster. I use the cardboard circle as a guide and press my offset spatula straight up against the side of the cake. 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 20

Can you show us a few pictures of what you are asking?

Some separator plates have smooth edges and some have little scallops.  Some people put cakes onto foil covered cake boards onto the pillars (no plastic plates).  It's hard to say without a picture.

taartenmaker Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 20

AI know that all cakes have cardboard underneath but what i mean is on this picture. How do you transport a cake like this with the cake allready on the plate cause the wilton plates click on the pillars so its hard to take it on or off[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2910109/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 20

oh--they just snap into the pillars--the little legs on the bottom of the plates fit into the top of the pillars

just give it a little pressure

you would prolly wanna deliver this cake unassembled

in order to place the pillars correctly you can mark the top of the cake with the plate that will sit above it

so you know where to place the pillars in the exact right place

~~there might be an answer in there somewhere icon_biggrin.gif

taartenmaker Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 20

AThank you but how do you disassemble a cake like this for transport. Will the push in pillars stay in place?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 20

go around one by one and hold each pillar to 'disconnect' the leg sitting in it

but not take it all the way off--just do the little snap

and then lift it off all the way when it is all loose--prolly only have to do a couple then it will lift off

start with the top tier

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 20

I could be totally wrong here. If I am somebody hopefully will chime in. I don't think you would assemble the whole cake decorated and all and disassemble. My guess is the cake is assembled on site. If I were doing this for the first time I would make box mix cakes without doctoring and assemble them once for practice before the event so there won't be any mishaps at the venue. Hth.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 12:02am
post #10 of 20

i think that the answer to your question will depend on if you cake sits at the edge of your cardboard round, or not. if your cake is smaller than the round and you have the room to pipe your bottom border, then i would do that at home and assemble the plates and pillars on site. if there isn't enough room, i would do everything but the bottom scallop, transport, assemble on site and pipe your scallop onsite. 

if your separator plates have any spike for securing the cardboard to the separator plate, be sure to poke a hole in your cardboard before you put the cake layers on it. 

is that what you're trying to figure out?

jen

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 12:12am
post #11 of 20

You do it like this:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/push-in-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Deliver with pillars pushed in.  Step 4 & 5 after delivery.

BakingIrene Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 12:42am
post #12 of 20
Quote:

... what i mean is on this picture. How do you transport a cake like this with the cake allready on the plate cause the wilton plates click on the pillars so its hard to take it on or off

I buy the plates for a total of 1" (2.5 cm) bigger than the cake,so there is a 1cm border. I decorate with the cake assembled, to ensure that the decorations line up.

YES the pillars click into the plates...that is a great feature.

To take apart for delivery, you need 2 people.  One person holds the lower tier at the edge of the plate with both hands, and the other person takes off the higher tier. You can put your hand under the plate and push straight up until the plate is off the pillars.  The pillars stay in the top of each tier until the cake is cut.

I then put each tier onto a piece of clean rubber foam (covered with plastic wrap) set on a sheet pan.  Foam has little holes cut into it for the feet under the plates. This is to keep the cake secure for delivery. 

taartenmaker Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 8:02am
post #13 of 20

Thank  you all so much, what I ment was in the link that CWR41 posted, so the awnser to my questuion(s) was: the push in pillars stay in place and the plate can be lifted up and off without the pillars coming out of the cake to. I didn't knew that because the only pillars I use from Wilton are the bakers prefferred disposable pillars all the other pillars I use are from Bakery Crafts, so thats why I thaught the plates can't just come of the push in pillars, cause the disposeble ones from Wilton are very secured to the plates and I thaught that it isn't possible to take the plate on or off without the pillars coming out of the cake to because they are so secured. If you would take them off then how do you put it back on without the pillars slipping, especially since the cake tier is allready on the plate at the venue. I always put my pillars in the cake tier with the plate already secured to the pillars. One more question: will the pillars stay in place when placing the tier back on or isn't it a little risky because of unstabillity(a lot of times I use spongecake)?

sorry for all my questions!!

BakingIrene Posted 1 Feb 2013 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 20

When you put the pillars onto the bottom of the plate, they might feel "locked" as you describe.  But with one person holding the lower tier, another person should be able to pull off the upper tier and the pillars should stay in the cake.  That has been the Wilton information for how-to-cut a tiered cake.  

If you find that the feet under the plate do not separate from the pillars when you pull, then you should check the feet.  Sometimes there are rough bits from the moulding process that can be smoothed off with fine sanding paper. Once you have a clean fit, you can lift off the cakes with just your own two hands, but they remain secure when assembled.

taartenmaker Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 20

thank you BakingIrene

and how do you do that with hidden pillars, a lot of the time I think I should make the spikes of my plates a lot smaller with a knife so they fit in the hidden pillars, but then I cant use the same plates for regular pillars anmore, how do you use hidden pillars cause they are a bit small for the spikes while the other pillars fit perfecly on the same plate.

BakingIrene Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 20

I always tested my pillars with plates before the cake got added, for each order. You have no control over any new batch of pillars...

I'm sorry to say that you have found out that not all pillars are compatible with all plates.  What you can do is look for caps that will fit over the smaller plate feet so that you can still use pillars with the larger opening.  Think of  shoes for the plate feet... After you find the right caps, then you can make all the feet smaller on all your plates.

There are all kinds of generic plastic goods on ebay.  Plastic is easy to sterilize with bleach and water solution.

taartenmaker Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 8:02pm
post #17 of 20

AThank you baking Irene, i allready found caps, the spikes of a eggbox lol it really works!

BakingIrene Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 11:50pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

Thank you baking Irene, i allready found caps, the spikes of a eggbox lol it really works!

Madame Einstein!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

BakingIrene Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:24am
post #19 of 20

And should anybody really be curious, try searching google for "cake separator patent" to see just how many strange and wonderful different ways have been devised for keeping pillars secure in cakes. They go as far back as 1927.

taartenmaker Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:41pm
post #20 of 20

ALoll you're welcome!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%