Mail A Cake???

Decorating By sianpa22 Updated 20 Feb 2013 , 2:22am by stephggnoco

sianpa22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sianpa22 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 6:38am
post #1 of 14

i would really love to surprise my in-laws for their 50th wedding anniversary. we planned on going to TX to visit but it doesn't look like it's going to happen... so i was thinking of making & mailing a cake to them.

I live in CA.. they're in TX.

is there anyone out there that might have any suggestions, ideas or info that could help me in this matter??!!

any and all info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

thanks

13 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 10:12am
post #2 of 14

AI'd suggest sending it frozen on dry ice so it doesn't get smashed. This will cost roughly $1,000,000.00. Maybe go visit them and bake the cake while you're there. ;)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 14

I regularly post cakes from one side of Australia to the other but I make a very dense fruit cake. I cover it with fondant and then decorate it with a flat design.  I then put the cake into a cheap plastic cake box that is close to the same size as the cake.  Sometimes I will have to pad out the inside with some bubble wrap but generally not.  So far the only breakage has been one flower petal.  I tape the box closed and then it goes into an express post pack, which has no padding what so ever.  My parents love fruit cake so this works really well for them.  Don't know if your in laws like this type of cake, though.  Costs me $20 for postage but they love it.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 14

AWell that was way better advice! Lol

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 14

packaging is the biggie as cazza says

and Sassyzan has a point too icon_biggrin.gif

i shipped some two piece gingerbread trees this year and a tea ring--a big nostalgic family favorite yeasted pastry

they arrived fine

but you gotta counter in advance for any type of movement right/left up/down side to side wham/bam

freezing can be an important tool but i did not freeze either of mine either

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 14

Mail a cake? Yes,you can, USPS  have several options, one is, to send  package with their own flat rate boxes, visit your local office and ask for appropriate size relative to your cake. I agree with  cazza, fruit cake will keep longer, but if your parents donot like fruit cake, try to explore express delivery, at the most three days. Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 14

yes, peppercorns, i sent mine with usps 'if it fits it ships' boxes--great delivery

you can get the right box for free at any post office--you can print the postage on your computer!!! amazing and EZ

hey--be right ready to ship on a mon/tues/wed as opposed to the other days so your goodies do not spend any down time

like esp avoid fri/sat/sun/holidays when the post office is closed and your goodies are stuck somewhere cooling their jets for 24 hours

count up three good continuous business days--no worries

you can get freezer packs and ship in a foam packaging if you wanna go that route

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 14

AIf you want to get them a traditional cake I recommend contacting a reputable bakery in their area that delivers. The cake from a local bakery will probably be about the same price as the packaging and delivery alone if you send it overnight from CA.

sianpa22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sianpa22 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:02am
post #9 of 14

thank you all for the great advise.... Fortunately, it just so happens that i will be visiting them on their anniversary!!! yay

pbuder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbuder Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 3:01am
post #10 of 14

So I sent a cake this month for my mother's birthday. I used ganache instead of buttercream under the fondant and used royal icing as my decoration glue. I froze the decorated unwrapped cake and then I wrapped the cake with saran wrap with extra around the rosettes to help provide support. Over the saran wrap I used layers of foil as well with more saran wrap over the foil. The cake was placed in a cake box with Styrofoam peanuts added onto and around the sides to protect the cake from moving. The whole cake box was then wrapped again in saran wrap before being placed inside another box that would have Styrofoam peanuts cushioning the box on all sides again before fedex'd overnight. I get a great deal on shipping via work and only payed $14 to ship from TN to CA. My mother was surprised and loved it. The cake slid slightly on the board covering about three of the beads around the base but otherwise did great.

mariel9898 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariel9898 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 3:15am
post #11 of 14

If Sylvia Weinstock and Jan Kish can mail their creations so can you! It may be expensive but it can be done.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 3:28am
post #12 of 14

I shipped a cake to my niece for her 16th birthday, from Colorado to Missouri, in July.  I made a 6" round two layer cake, using Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe.  Frosted it with Sharon Zambito's BC.  Covered it in MMF, including flat decorations.  I found a 7" hat box at Hobby Lobby that it fit perfectly in.  I wrapped the cake with plastic wrap, then a thin layer of bubble wrap prior to putting it in th hat box.  I then put big bubble wrap in a bigger box and put the hat box inside.  It was very snug in the bigger box with plenty of bubble wrap to protect it on all sides.  Taped up the box with a bit of zebra duct tape (that was the theme of the cake) and mailed it.  It arrived in tact and in no squishing out of the BC from the MMF.  No need for any dry ice or other coolants, due to the type of cake, frosting, and fondant I used.

Here is a pic of the cake once it was taken out of the box by my niece.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 14

I ship cakes all the time and its matter of how far they are going and how you prepare them. I like someone said earlier I freeze it fully decorated prefer a flat design and wrap in saran wrap then foil.. put in in its bakery box. I use bubble wrap inside the box to make sure nothing moves around. Then wrap the bakery box in foil or more saran wrap then into a shipping box with packing peanuts or bubble wrap. Make sure you mark the box fragile this side up. if its going next state I use USPS..any farther than that I use FedEx. I will never UPS again..terrible experience with them. 

stephggnoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephggnoco Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 2:22am
post #14 of 14

I tried it once, UPS and it didn't make it. I guess if you froze it or used a dense cake may be? I'm just to afraid to try it again...LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%