Ps3 Cake Help

Decorating By gordismom Updated 31 Jan 2013 , 5:46pm by SaltCakeCity

gordismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gordismom Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a PS3 cake for this weekend.  I've never done one before.  Any advise as to whether its easier to make the controller out of cake or modelling chocolate?

3 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 4

Hey Gordismom,

I would say it depends on how big the PS3 Controller is supposed to be. I've made the controller all cake when it was pretty big but when I'm doing the controller and the console together, it tends to be much smaller so I usually make it out of rice krispies. I've attached two examples here. Shaping really small cakes and then covering them in marshmallow fondant usually takes me way longer than it needs to :) I hope that helps!

Happy caking!

Jennifer

Salt Cake City

gordismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gordismom Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much. That is very helpful.  They look great.  I completely forgot about the rice krispies.  When you work with the rice krispies, how do you make it so its sturdier?  I've done several things with the rice krispies and it always seems to be too soft. 

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

If it's going to be big, I make a batch but don't add butter (so just melted marshmallows and rice krispies). Otherwise, I use premade packaged rice krispies because they're usually harder than when I make them. Then, I coat it in buttercream and put it in the fridge to harden up. Cover it in marshmallow fondant, and then back in the fridge. I hope that helps :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%