Cake Pan Release? Can I Use A Misto?

Decorating By SaltCakeCity Updated 28 Jan 2013 , 6:36pm by hbquikcomjamesl

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone,

I just bought a Misto (one of those olive oil pump and spray cans) in the hopes that I can use it to easily grease my cake pans. Does anyone use a Misto (or something similar) for creating a cake pan release? If so, do you just use vegetable oil or do you add something else? 

Thank you in advance! :)
Jennifer

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 10

The best pan grease = 1 part flour + 1 part veg oil + 1 part solid veg shortening.  Whipped together and then painted on with a pastry brush. Keeps for months at room temp.

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks, Leah! I've seen this recipe but usually prefer sprays since I use flower nails in my larger cakes as well and didn't want to take the time to brush them too. I will definitely switch to this method though if no one has a good idea for the Misto. Thank you again for all of your great advice! You've helped me through so many things, I can't even tell you! haha

Happy caking!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 10

that leaves you with a two step process then mist and flour

inefficient and less safe than brushing

(besides double handling, inhaling the loose flour & airborne oil residue  and messy cleanup)

leah's is the best idea i have ever come across in several years of baking icon_biggrin.gif

it's a much bigger deal to mist and flour than it is to swipe a rose nail with a greasy brush

and might i recommend using a silicone brush too

those older painter style pastry brushes are s.c.a.r.y to me

at least use a dedicated one if you use the older variety

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 10

i have a friend who lines her pans with waxed paper

and never even has to wash them

she is brilliant too

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 10

AI grease all my pans with leftover butter wrappers, then line in parchment. Easiest release ever.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 10

maybe k & k

but i'm not sure you win icon_biggrin.gif for easiest

i paper the bottom and don't grease anything

unless it's one of those cool nordic pans like the castle or the train or the oreo cookie pan etc. i use the triple dollop goo method leah describes

and you'll be scrubbing the broken cake not to mention the finish off the pan before plain butter will release those cakes

icon_biggrin.gif

you win for being green, re-cycling and best tasting though

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 10

I agree - best cake release is 1 part vegetable oil, 1 part shortening, 1 part flour.  I keep mine in a big squirt bottle in the refrigerator. Just squirt some out and spread around with a paper towel.  I also use parchment circles.  I have never had anything stick!

AppleMark

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 10

you don't really have to keep it in the fridge.  It will be fine for MONTHS on the shelf.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 10

For cakes, I use butter (wiped on with a paper towel), followed by flour (around my house, we've kept a shaker of flour on hand since before I was born, not just for flouring cake pans, but for flouring meat and rolling out cookie dough.) In the case of the Bundt mold, that's in addition to the nonstick coating on the mold. For cookie sheets, I line with aluminum foil (and use the cookie sheet upside down, so a pre-loaded liner will just slide right on as soon as I've unloaded and removed the cookies that came out of the oven); for my Innsbruck Dream Bars, I line the pan with aluminum foil. And for my turkey loaf, I use a glass baking dish, well-lubricated with canola oil, and I keep the sides of the loaf well clear of the sides of the baking dish, then extract by scraping it off the bottom with two spatulas, going in from opposite ends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%