Help In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Lounge By cakeyouverymuch Updated 28 Jan 2013 , 5:56pm by cakeyouverymuch

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 2:10am
post #1 of 4

One of my KAs chewed up its own gears (again).  Anybody out there know of a small appliance repair shop in Winnipeg.  I've called locally and no-one does small appliances.  I've called KA and they don't have any "authorized" repair people locally.  I'm not prepared to send a seven year old machine off to who knows where for who knows how long and who knows at what cost.  I want to be able to take it to a shop and pick it up when its done.  TIA

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 3:16am
post #2 of 4

Is it always the same machine?  Because there may be something so wrong with it that fixing it is not worth the $$$. The thing that holds that gear may have been defective from its manufacture.

Here's the issue with asking a local repair shop to fix it:  They may not be able to buy the parts from KA.  You might pay them for work to get to that stage, and then find out that they can't do the repair anyway.

So if you have to send the thing away to T.O. don't be afraid as there is at least one reputable repair shop. You want to search for an online listing with search term arora as they are the T.O. local dealer, they sell refurbished KA, and they take care of warranty repairs.  I deal with them face-to-face.

Yah I know the thing is heavy.  It would cost an arm and a leg to ship.

But don't just go and buy a new one.

You should look up the KA manual to see if you can adjust the gears yourself. Email KA and ask  if you can buy replacement gears yourself, given that you are not within 500 miles of an authorised dealer.  Tell them you will choose another brand next time you go shopping...that sometimes gets you the parts list.

Finally, you should use google to see if you can buy the KA service manual--there are third party places that sell service manuals online for a very reasonable price.

I once bought a sewing machine with a warranty and it turned out to have one flaw--one mechanical setting was miscast and couldn't be made to work.  I made a note of that specific failure in the manual when I passed that machine on to somebody else, so that they knew exactly what NOT to do when they wanted to sew on buttons.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 4

OP check your messages box after you login.  I sent you a bunch of links including businesses that sell the gears--but they can't be posted on the thread.  The gear you want might be just $4.00 and you can DIY but you have to buy it from a KA dealer.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

OP check your messages box after you login.  I sent you a bunch of links including businesses that sell the gears--but they can't be posted on the thread.  The gear you want might be just $4.00 and you can DIY but you have to buy it from a KA dealer.

Thank you Irene.

I was having virus issues with my 'puter.  All fixed up now, and will look into the links you sent.  Have also done the G and will be calling around today to see who in Winnipeg can either get the parts or do the repairs for me.

I'm not in a panic about it.  Since I have the other two machines I can take my time and choose my options. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%