Help! Will This Be Okay?

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 26 Jan 2013 , 5:23pm by andertoncakes

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 19

I have a fondant covered cake with the dreaded icing ring around the middle showing some. I did all of the things everyone says to do, using a dam, letting it settle overnight with something on top of it, etc. Dam must not have been stiff enough. Anyway, what's done it done and I cannot start over as there is not enough time. The worst part of the ring has become the back of the cake (it's for a baby shower-paid job). I have the cake in the refrigerator (I put all cakes in there, even fondant covered ones with no problem). I am hoping the fondant will set up and hold it all in. I kept the cake in the fridge last night, as at that point it was just covered in fondant without the border and decor. I wanted to see what it would look like in the morning since it wasn't too bad yesterday (or I would have started over). This morning I decorated it. Seems like as it warmed up a bit inside my house, that the ring was more noticeable. Maybe not and maybe I am just freaking out. Of course I do what most of you do and keep staring and poking at it. LOL. Anyway, it's back in the fridge until delivery first thing in the morning. Question is, and again I cannot yank off the fondant and start over and thought I did all of the right things I have learned from everyone here, will it stay as is as long as it remains cold? If so, I am great with that, since it's not too bad. I just worry about what that darn icing might do and don't want to wake up with a disaster waiting for me in the fridge since at that point, I don't know what I would do since it is being delivered then. Thank you in advance for your response! Stressing out!!!

18 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 19

After I crumbcoat..I completely ice my cake under fondant....as if it is going to be a butter cream cake..then put back in frig over night. I never have buldges or rings.   I think icing it completely helps.   That's the way I do it.   

amywood20 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 19

I'll have to try that next time. For now though, I am just trying to figure out what I might be waking up to in the morning and hoping someone else has had the same thing happen and maybe could tell me if the fondant held. :0)  It held over night last night, but since it was out at room temp for awhile today, it seems it was softening up and that worries me. Like I said, back in the fridge. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 19

should be fine

and just a side note--the stiffness of the filling is a non-issue to successfully built cakes

just curious--did your cakes bake level or did you cut any off at all??

amywood20 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 19

I leveled the top and even cut all of the sides to ensure it was straight up and down. So you think it will be ok? My fingers are crossed!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 19

i hope so--should be

i never get that and because you did all you did you shouldn't have either

do you think the icing was put on thicker around the edges and thinner in the middle maybe???

kind of a no where to run to baby no where to hide? (like the song ;)

amywood20 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 19

This is the cake. Notice the right hand side on the bottom tier. I know it looks like an air bubble but it's not. That's where the icing is in the middle. Other spots like that on the back of the cake. Same with the top tier. This is the design the customer wanted, otherwise I would cover it even more with buttons to mask it. LOL. 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 19

Cute cake!

Keeping it in the fridge will delay the bulge from rearing its ugly head, but the longer it sits out at room temperature, it's gonna do what it's gonna do.

Even more important than a stiff dam is WHERE you pipe it.  You definitely don't want to pipe it right on the edge.  I pipe the dam about 1/4 to 1/2 inch inside the cake.  Also, make sure you don't overfill.  Get down at eye level and make sure your filling doesn't hump over the dam.  When the other layer goes on, it has no choice but to expand outward.  I never weight my cakes/let them settle and I don't have the bulging issue.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 19

could you do a few of the yellow dot trios just randomly around here and there

plus a couple of the yellow x's (the stitched button centers)

or do them all in white!!!! just a few will do it--trick the eye

so it's going to be devoured quickly after delivery/pick up???

should be fine--doesn't look like a landslide or anything remotely akin

trios and x's!!!

amywood20 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 19

I hate to add anymore stitches to the cake, as she gave me a very specific photo to go off of. The shower is at the home of the gal (young gal who probably won't even notice what I see) and I will politely suggest she keeps it in the fridge until right before the shower starts. It stayed ok during the time I had it out to decorate so I imagine it will be okay throughout the baby shower before they cute into it. The customer is a sister of a gal I used to work with, so although I don't know her per se, she's not a total stranger I guess, which might lessen the blow if things go badly. LOL. Good thing is I doweled it very well so I am not worried about it shifting or anything when delivering. One plus I guess. Still might not sleep well tonight. I do keep peeking at it and it hasn't changed since the photo was taken. LOL.  

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 19

it'll be fine i'm sure

i once did a cake and i still have no idea how this happened

it was super hot though--very muggy

it was a heart shaped cake with a floral cascade like 30 years ago

the flowers within the one pillar separation slowly flowed...somewhere

i don't know where they went but i kept noticing that they moved ever so slightly and i could add some on top and after a time they would meld a little and flow slightly and i could add some more flowers...

the cascade that was on the cake itself didn't really move much but between the separation was a different story for some reason--always loosing it's height

very strange--all was well--did not tsunami or flood--bride loved it--case closed/flowed icon_biggrin.gif

amywood20 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 19

And the sad thing is the people we make these cakes for will never appreciate the stress we put ourselves through in order to get that "perfect" cake, which I personally think does not exist. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 19

AI think the fondant looks a bit thick, I know that lots of people roll it thick, but it is best to freeze the cake for 30 minutes or so, so when you put that heavy fondant on it doesn't squish it and squish the filling out.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 19

I think that's an adorable cake and the bulge is barely noticeable. Even if it gets a little worse, they're not going to see what you see and they'll be thrilled with it.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 2:04am
post #15 of 19

I think it looks great! 

amywood20 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 2:24am
post #16 of 19

AThanks everyone. I feel better now and it seems to be holding. Yea!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 4:23am
post #17 of 19

That's good to hear. it's a very cute design :) If I understand correctly, you used a fruit filling which is the reason for the dam? I've finally come to the point where I make the dam so thick it would hold up an elephant. As mentioned above, I place it about a half inch inside the rim of the cake. The weight of the fondant is not going to push this down and it doesn't spread much at all, so I squirt icing all around the gap and then ice the cake all over. The cakes sit out about 5 hours (no wieghts) and are then popped in the frig over night.  Stacked and decorated the next day.

The one I was most nervous about was a steep 5-7-9 stack with rapsberry filling on every tier, but it turned out great even though it was delivered an hour away. I didn't use SPS, just  skinny wooden dowels for support.

Here a pic of the time it happened to me - I wanted to cry and I didn't charge them for the cake.

And here's the other cake full of homemade raspberry filling - it get's better! Experience helps - we've all been there.

Oh, and then there was this day...my driver had an minor accident, well it was major for the cake. I can almost laugh about it now. Almost...

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 5:11am
post #18 of 19

It's so cute and guests will be noticing all the bright colors - wouldn't have even noticed anything if you hadn't pointed it out.  Whatever you do don't mention it to the customer.  She'll be over the moon with the design.  And yes, refrigeration will halt any movement tonight and during delivery.  Sleep well.  You did a great job.

andertoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andertoncakes Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 5:23pm
post #19 of 19

AYour cake beautiful! I had one do that to me (it's the one on my profile) and it drove me crazy. It never moved after it formed. I'm sure your mothe to be will love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%