Attaching Wires To Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By jamesyay Updated 25 Jan 2013 , 11:21pm by costumeczar

jamesyay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamesyay Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all...

So, I have a question.

Last night I saw how Nicholas Lodge rolls out his gum paste (with a pasta machine), and just tried it. I absolutely love the method! Works amazingly!

Anyways, I don't see how I would go about making certain flowers with this method.

I'm talking about the ones like lillies, peonies, and leaves, where you need to have the wire attached in order to attach it into a spray and whatnot.

I know you would normally do this on a "cel board", but I'm not a super fan of that method. Just wondering if there's a different method to it?

How does Nicholas Lodge do his?

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 6

AHe rolls it out then uses the groove board to press the thicker part into it, if I rememebr correctly. When I do wired flowers I sandwich the wires between two pieces of thin gumpaste and cut the petals out, then vein them the usual way. I did a tutorial on my blog but I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link anymore, so if you go to my blog and search for wiring gumpaste the fast way it should come up. It's a lot faster than trying to stick a wire up into a slot of gumpaste.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 6

Kara, I subscribe to your blog and loved your post about this way of wiring.  I have a lot of gum paste flowers to make in the coming months so I will give it a try.  How I have been dong it in the past though is to take the fabric covered wire and work a very small ball of gum paste onto it I then use a brush and add a very small amount of gum glue to the wire and then place it on the cut out petal or leaf and then put it into my veining mold.  The pressure of the veining mold imbeds the wire into the gum paste and the fact that the wire had gum paste on it already makes sure the wire is fully covered.  Your way is probably faster and way easier! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 6

AI used to do the same thing with the gumpaste on the wire, then I started putting a piece of gumpaste over the wire and sandwiching it between the petal and the extra gumpaste. Sometimes those didn't stay stick, so I started doing it the way that I do it now with the wire sandwich:) It holds better because the wire is good and enclosed, and it's soooo much faster. It probably uses a little more gumpaste but it's totally worth it.

jamesyay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamesyay Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you!!

It took a while to find on the blog but eventually I found it and that's a great method!

Also, I love your Etsy shop...

costumeczar Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyay 

Thank you!!

It took a while to find on the blog but eventually I found it and that's a great method!

Also, I love your Etsy shop...

Sorry about making you search...I got clarification and I can post the link now. It's http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/03/wiring-gumpaste-quick-way.html   Sorry to make it difficult to begin with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%