Source For White Oasis Blocks???

Decorating By DeniseNH Updated 24 Jan 2013 , 11:26pm by shanter

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 4:19am
post #1 of 5

I'm experimenting with a fake tier that's back-lit with mini rice lights and decorated with white sugar roses.  To achieve this without a lot of trauma I need to find a source for white oasis blocks, not styrofoam.  Tried it with styro and the process was painful.  Oasis is softer than foam but all I can find are rainbow oasis blocks.  Any sources you might know of?

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 5

no

but a random idea in lieu of that

would a styrofoam cutter help with the styro ones?

they heat up--it's like a little hot wire--you prolly already tried it but just a thought

sounds pretty!!!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 5

The problem is that you need a white soft substance to nest the white sugar flowers in properly and evenly.  When you dig out holes in a styro dummy it's time consuming and you can never get each hole the same depth - with an oasis you have the latitude to press each rose in a little further and adjust it    So s styrofoam cutter wouldn't work.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I really need a source for all white oasis blocks I can cut into rounds (withouut having to buy six other colors in a rainbow pack that I don't need).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 5

maybe so but i love to cut styrofoam

why is white oasis so hard to find i wonder

ok one other thought if you can't find it

say you wanted an 8" styrofoam flower holder

also buy a 5" or 6" styrofoam to center on top of the 8 (whatever height needed)

so you have a perfect 1.5" or 1" ledge to plop royal or buttercream icing blobs to secure the flowers to

and if the flowers are wired the wires could hide between the foam pieces

maybe

maybe not--just a random thought!!

hope you find the white you want!!!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 5

Could you cover a block of green oasis with a thin layer of white fondant? Would that work for the flowers?

You probably don't want to spend over $60 and get numerous blocks of oasis in colors you don't want, but

http://www.koyalwholesale.com/pages-productinfo-category-340_1493-product-23331/floral_suppliesfloral_foam_for_flowersoasis_rainbow_floral_foam_bricks_-_case_of_24_bricks_9_colors_available.html

I guess it isn't white, but ivory. Maybe you could get them all in ivory, but that would still be a whole lot of oasis!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%