Fondant Figure Trouble

Decorating By MELROSE315 Updated 25 Jan 2013 , 2:57am by MELROSE315

MELROSE315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELROSE315 Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 3:23am
post #1 of 7

AHi all I need help with the cracks or folds that happen to my fondant figures. I have been mixing 1/2 fondant 1/2 gumpaste. The small circles are fine but the large ones have creases that I can't get out. Ay tips? Will try to add picture of latest figure... I also have been using shortening to keep them moist. Thanks... Well it seems I can't add a picture using an iPad... Need help with that too... I you had a moment it's the baby teddy bear in my profile.

6 replies
kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:35am
post #2 of 7

AThe same thing happens to me. I would also like to know how to stop it from happening ( or fix it when it does ).

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, I am not 100% sure what you mean, but i add shortening to the paste and use the same ratio as you.

I always start any shape for the figure by making a nice smooth ball in my hands first, then it is easy to shape or roll and i don't have problems with cracking or anything.

Hope this helps :)

MELROSE315 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 2:20am
post #4 of 7

Cake topper for baby shower cake.. Had some problems with fondant creases.. But she's still cute

see the cracks on her head ... I tried very hard to roll the ball but it never came out

MELROSE315 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 2:23am
post #5 of 7

i added a picture of the problem.. it doesnt seem to happen on the small things just the larger ones?

thanks for the help

YALANTZI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YALANTZI Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 2:41am
post #6 of 7

I also use half fondant half gumpaste, when I start getting cracks I  knead the gumpaste by pulling it apart like if it was gum and then making my ball again. If this does not help I add a little water to make the paste sticky again, try not to add so much shortening because it will be too greasy and you will never get the cracks out. Hope this helps

MELROSE315 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 2:57am
post #7 of 7

AOk.. Thanks.. I didn't think about adding water !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%