Do The Americolor Gels Contain Gluten Or Soy?

Decorating By Smash Cakery Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 1:00am by supernursecake

Smash Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smash Cakery Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 3:06am
post #1 of 8

I have researched this till I am blue in the face, but cannot find any information on the Americolor gel colors containing soy? I have a client who is paying a premium for these special allergen free cookies, but I have never encountered a client who cannot have soy? I can't find any info! Please help.

TIA. :)

7 replies
kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 3:28am
post #2 of 8

I don't have a helpful answer but I am interested to know also... so here's a bump... hopefully someone knows!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:01am
post #3 of 8

Have you contacted the company, I am sure they can answer your question

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:03am
post #4 of 8

Just call Americolor direct or send them an email:

http://www.americolorcorp.com/

Don't trust any advice you get on the random cake internet forum when it comes to the health of your client!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 5:01am
post #5 of 8

If you don't get anywhere with Americolor, have a look at www.LorAnnOils.com they manufacture food colours and they have very carefully answered your question on their "Gourmet Foods" FAQ.

NO I'm not going to copy it here.  You will need to download the positive statement of content from whatever manufacturer you choose for this client's information.

If you need another source there is Squires Kitchen brand in the UK also with a certificate of content.  Use Google to find local distributors in your area.

And you need to get your client to write down for you the names of  all soy derivative products and their levels that you must avoid. Because sometimes the word "soy" will not appear but the derivative will be present.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 5:10am
post #6 of 8

AThere's really no substitute for talking to the manufacturer directly. Like all your other ingredients, if the manufacturer can't give you a straight answer and does not explain the cleaning processes in the factory to your satisfaction you should assume that the gels are unsafe.

Soy is a tough one, since it is not as common as nuts and gluten it is more difficult to find manufacturers who put the effort in to avoid contamination from other soy products. If you've never done a soy-free order you will need to contact the manufacturers for all your ingredients to confirm they are safe.

Smash Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smash Cakery Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 1:27am
post #7 of 8

AUpdate- I spoke with Americolor this morning, and their gel colors are soy, dairy, and gluten free. Thank you everyone for your tips!

supernursecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supernursecake Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 1:00am
post #8 of 8

AHere's americolor reply

Please see our allergen checklist attached. Our soft gel paste is soy free. Our candy color has lecithin in it-the lecithin is a soy product. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%