Baking A 12" Cake Without Heating Core... Advice Please.

Baking By tamra81 Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 4:58am by icer101

tamra81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamra81 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 12:48am
post #1 of 7

Hi there! I'm new to this thread and had a quick question. Hopefully someone can help me out. Any suggestions on oven temp and time when baking a 12" square cake (2 in deep) without using a heating core? I don't have any metal flower nails available to use as heating cores :(

6 replies
texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 1:08am
post #2 of 7

I'd go low and slow if I were you. Maybe around 290 degrees F? If you have the Wilton wrap around heating strips use those so the edges don't get too done. I've heard you can also tear up an old dish towel and, as long as you wet it really good and wring it out, it works well, too. As for the time, I have no clue. Just make sure the middle is done- probably going to take awhile. Maybe some other posters can help us out.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 1:20am
post #3 of 7

I have never used a heating core or flower nails.  Baked cakes as big as the 15" hexagon.

VERY important to know your oven.  Any hot spots, accurate calibration, level, etc.  Then I used the magic cake strips well and truly soaking wet for each cake, and 325F.  The cakes baked in less time than the Wilton charts show.

GG1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GG1980 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 1:33am
post #4 of 7

What I just did this weekend was use less batter (1 box of mix vs. 2 boxes) and it baked perfectly at 350 degrees for 22 minutes.  Then I didn't have to torte, I just filled & layered the thinner cakes.  Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 1:42am
post #5 of 7

I used a couple of flower nails once - once - and just thought it was silly.  Anyway, in 50 years of baking, I've truly experienced no need for heating cores or flower nails for baking.  Just turn the temp down.  For large layers I'll sometimes go down to 300.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 3:52am
post #6 of 7

Bake-even strips and lowered oven temperature. If you don't have the strips you can make some by cutting up kitchen towels, folding them to make 2-3 layer 'wrap' around the pan. Secure with a t-pin or whatever metal pin you have. I've also heard that wet newspapers work too.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 4:58am
post #7 of 7

I have never used flower nails nor heating cores for any size cakes i have made. I don,t knock anyone that does. I don,t use the bake even strips either. i have , when i first starting decorating cakes, but stopped using them some years back. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%