Website Themes?

Business By Stitches Updated 27 Jan 2013 , 12:12am by Azunga

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 1:43am
post #31 of 41
Quote:

I wouldn't buy a gallery plugin....  I use Nextgen and it does everything I could think of.  Many other plugins use features from Nextgen as well and there's even addon's for that plugin as well to increase the functionality.

I've never heard of Nextgen, until you mentioned it. I'll be checking it out asap, thank-you! You've already given me days and days of things to check into. I really appreciate that, and your answers to my basic questions.

Sorry if you got into hot water here........ I'm glad it didn't chase you away.

Did you stop by for our exciting cake talk?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 5:03am
post #32 of 41

Members, do NOT ask any member that offers a service that you may want to buy openly in the forums about how to buy their services unless they are a partner of CC (like Cake Boss or Global Sugar Art).  This opens the forums up for the person to post a commercial for their company which is a violation of CC policy regarding solicitation of our membership.  This gets the member in question in trouble and possibly banned for answering that direct question.

You also cannot for any reason post "email me for details" or "PM me for details" in a thread no matter the circumstances.  This too is considered solicitation of membership.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 5:12am
post #33 of 41

A

Original message sent by FromScratchSF

Members, do NOT ask any member that offers a service that you may want to buy openly in the forums about how to buy their services unless they are a partner of CC (like Cake Boss or Global Sugar Art).  This opens the forums up for the person to post a commercial for their company which is a violation of CC policy regarding solicitation of our membership.  This gets the member in question in trouble and possibly banned for answering that direct question.

I thought it was acceptable to bring up commercial services as long as the service is relevant to the thread and not posted cold. Have the rules changed on this?

You also cannot for any reason post "email me for details" or "PM me for details" in a thread no matter the circumstances.  This too is considered solicitation of membership.
So people are not allowed to discuss anything off-thread for any reason?

pollymixtures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pollymixtures Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 1:17pm
post #34 of 41

Hey guys. I had no proper budget to get my website going (which is currently in more of a blogging format) www.pollymixtures.com

I found http://wpthemetweaks.com/ 

It has really concise instructions (free!) to input your own CSS coding to make the page have a lovely professional finish. Annie also could not have been more helpful when I came up against problems (I had no experience in wordpress or coding!)

Goodluck, whatever you choose to do :)

maritzausa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maritzausa Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 3:42pm
post #35 of 41

Checkout http://www.woothemes.com/

They have a wide variety of great looking themes for Word Press. They are tailored for different businesses, from ecommerce, to photographers, restaurants, writers, food, and more.

I would recommend paying for the themes, but due to the Word Press open source license, you can actually find a theme, Google for it, and download it for free. It's totally legal and you are not stealing from them. They have chosen to do business in an environment where their product has to be released for free. That said, there is nothing to stop a hacker from putting malicious code into the free version that you download, so you (and your web visitors) are safer if you purchase it from from Woo.

Azunga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Azunga Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 9:56pm
post #36 of 41

@maritzausa - Woothemes is great and a great resource for Premium themes / plugins...  Wordpress is open source and free but that doesn't mean all the plugins are free and open source.  I wouldn't ever use a premium plugin that I downloaded off a rogue site so that I could get it free.  You're open for law suites for stealing copyrighted software (the plugin), open to backdoors from the person that made available the plugin for free, and since the plugin will be used (usually) on a world wide accessible site then it's pretty easy to spot to exploit, sue, or whatever else which usually has bad consequences.  Plus it's basically stealing and most plugins aren't very expensive.... Another thing I just noticed is that even Automattic (the parent company of Wordpress) even sells a premium plugin called Vaultpress. 

maritzausa Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 1:15am
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Wordpress is open source and free but that doesn't mean all the plugins are free and open source.  I wouldn't ever use a premium plugin that I downloaded off a rogue site so that I could get it free.  You're open for law suites for stealing copyrighted software (the plugin)

This is not factually correct. I have purchased many WooThemes WordPress templates. They are indeed free to redistribute. In fact, I just opened up the folder for WooTube, one of their popular themes which I purchased. It, like WordPress, and by legal necessity, carries the GNU license. See for your self at their website (http://www.woothemes.com/terms-conditions/) Let me quote from Section 1 of that license:

You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;
and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License
along with the Program.
jason_kraft Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 1:23am
post #38 of 41

AIf a WP plugin is distributed under the GNU license then it is free, but if it has a different license you may or may not have to pay for it. So you can't assume that all WP plugins are free, there are commercial WP plugins that you have to buy in order to legally use.

maritzausa Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 1:29am
post #39 of 41
Quote:
If a WP plugin is distributed under the GNU license then it is free, but if it has a different license you may or may not have to pay for it. So you can't assume that all WP plugins are free, there are commercial WP plugins that you have to buy in order to legally use.

WordPress disagrees. See the statement below from their site:

(http://wordpress.org/about/license/)

The license under which the WordPress software is released is the GPLv2 (or later) from the Free Software Foundation. A copy of the license is included with every copy of WordPress, but you can also read the text of the license here.

Part of this license outlines requirements for derivative works, such as plugins or themes. Derivatives of WordPress code inherit the GPL license. Drupal, which has the same GPL license as WordPress, has an excellent page on licensing as it applies to themes and modules (their word for plugins).

There is some legal grey area regarding what is considered a derivative work, but we feel strongly that plugins and themes are derivative work and thus inherit the GPL license. If you disagree, you might want to consider a non-GPL platform such as Serendipity (BSD license) or Habari (Apache license) instead.

jason_kraft Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 1:36am
post #40 of 41

AIt looks like you are correct that all plugins must be GPL. However, the authors of software released under GPL can still charge license fees to use the software, even though the source code is publicly available.

For example, here is a list of popular Wordpress plugins that require payment in order to legally use. http://www.sitepoint.com/top-10-premium-wordpress-plugins-for-2012/

In the context of GPL, "free" means free as in speech, not free as in beer.

Azunga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Azunga Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 12:12am
post #41 of 41

That's a tough, grey area.  I've talked to a couple friends recently about this and they've heard of this debate over and over.  There's no clear answer it seems but to me it's just smarter to use an official plugin rather than a hacked, or potentially modified version.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%