No Cake Flour Where I Live!! And Need A Yellow Cake Recipe From Scratch!! Please!!!

Baking By neda_la Updated 19 Jan 2013 , 9:08pm by BakingIrene

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all,

I have been trying to find a nice yellow or white cake recipe to be made from scratch!! All of the ones I found have cake flour!!

Unfortunately, there is no cake flour here where I live!

Can someone please give me a recipe for a moist and fluffy yellow/golden or white cake that's not made with cake flour?? PLEASE?

5 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 6

A substitute for cake flour is replacing 2 tbs with 2 tbsp cornstarch per each cup flour. I have had this written down for emergency use, but haven't tried it yet. Warren Brown uses potato starch with regular flour for his cakes (about 2 oz per 8 oz regular flour which is approximately 1/3 cup added per 2 cup flour) so maybe this can be a general substitute as well.   If one of these substitutions work for you, you can try all those recipes using cake flour.  Let us know if it works!   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

A substitute for cake flour is replacing 2 tbs with 2 tbsp cornstarch per each cup flour. I have had this written down for emergency use, but haven't tried it yet.  If you try it, let us know what you think!  With the substitution, you can try all those recipes using cake flour.  

me too--had it memorized even--never tried it

till after my first ten million cakes i finally tried it for a family pound cake

it worked -- it was good

but

it tasted corny!!!

kid you not

so i'd never use it again

but yes it is touted everywhere for that substitution

like smooth sweet creamy textureless cakey cornbread!!!!!!

was great with strawberries & whipped cream though

wonder what rice flour would do

let's write that one down and start counting to ten million

icon_biggrin.gif

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 6

Good to know!  Thanks.  I will try the potato starch substitution instead.  

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 6

Yes have heard and read many places that the cake flour substitute doesn't work!!:)

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 6

When you use yogurt instead of milk you NEED to use regular flour

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-yellow-cake-with-fudge-frosting-recipe

This recipe also has conversion button at the top of the ingredients list, to convert to weight

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%