Dummy Cakes & Other Questions

Decorating By jbeauchamp05 Updated 18 Jan 2013 , 5:06pm by jbeauchamp05

jbeauchamp05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbeauchamp05 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:40am
post #1 of 9

My sister in law is having me make her wedding cake.  She wants the cake out the entire reception to look "pretty".  :)  She decided she wants me to make her a dummy cake the way she wanted it decorated with the top tier only being real in order for them to cut the cake but then the rest can stay up pretty.  We will then have sheet cakes in back to pass out to guest.  My questions are:

1.  How sturdy are the foam dummy cakes?

2.  Do I just ice them and fondant them as normal and they will hold up?  Am I able to wash it off and re-use them again?

3.  Best place to buy dummy cakes.

Lastly,  I have been looking for a good vanilla cake recipe.  It must be moist.  I found one on here that is basically ramping up a box cake and it was awesome but very dense and heavy.  Not sure if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks!

8 replies
fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:47am
post #2 of 9

ADummy cakes are great....very sturdy and can be used under a real cake. Decorate just like a regular cake. If covering with fondant, use shortening on the dummy then cover with fondant.

www.**********.com is the best place to buy :) Google best vanilla cake recipe....I love throne by glorious cakes. On my phone so can't post link! HTH!:grin:

fcakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:48am
post #3 of 9

AI love the one*

jbeauchamp05 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:52am
post #4 of 9

Thanks so much for the information.  I will look at the site and find that recipe.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 4:55am
post #5 of 9
Dummies are very sturdy , I usually give them a light sand with some fine grade sandpaper just on the edges to take off any sharpness that might tear your fondant. I then cover them in a light coat of piping gel and cover them as I would a real cake. 

When you want to reuse them , I just pop them in the shower or bath with some hot water and the icing just comes right off. 

If you post where you are in the world we may be able to help you with where to buy them. 

Hope this Helps 
Chelle. 
jbeauchamp05 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:10am
post #6 of 9

Yeah I guess location would be good.  lol  I am in Portage Indiana.  I am about 2.5 hrs north of Indy and about 30 minutes south of Chicago.

fcakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 9

AHey! Where'd my post go? It just shows the spelling correction I made and not the earlier post! Weird!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 9

I bought mine from http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/. They are fairly inexpensive.

Like Chellescakes, I like to sand the corners first. I cover them in a thin coating of shortening to make the fondant stick.

They are reusable.

jbeauchamp05 Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 9

I have no idea because I was just looking up the info and went to find what you suggested.  Can you send the cake information and the dummy info you sent again?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%