Perfectly Domes Cupcakes..what Is The Secret?

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Jan 2014 , 6:50pm by Lfredden

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 12:19am
post #1 of 19

So I have an order for 40 fondant covered domed cupcakes..They are black and white with Chanel logos and bows,mini purses,mini high heels etc

I was thinking of baking regular cupcakes and cutting off the tops and then baking Wilton Mini ball cakes to glue ontop..or...

should I try and just baked Perfectly round domed cupcakes??which seems to never happen

What is the secret to perfectly round/domed cupcakes...Do share thumbs_up.gif

18 replies
BCWishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCWishes Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 12:50am
post #2 of 19

AHave no idea, but want to follow to find out!

seasea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasea Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:12am
post #3 of 19

Follow your recipe to the letter, do not over mix, fill 2/3 full....they should come out beautiful..CC

Lea17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lea17 Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 10:09am
post #4 of 19

This is the recipe I follow for domed cakes, and it hasn't failed me yet :)

113g butter

130g sugar (I used caster, but the recipe didn't specify so I had to guess on that)

3 large eggs

1tsp vanilla extract

195g self raising flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

60mls milk

warm the milk and butter together and let cool,

Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick, but don't over whisk,

Mix in the milk and butter and then add dry ingredients

Fill cupcakes over 3/4 full

Hope that helps

Cakesvillenl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesvillenl Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 10:40am
post #5 of 19

If the cupcake is not exactly right, use buttercream to get the dome shape you would like.  It is a lot easier than trimming the cupcakes and less time than cooking extra domes to fit on the top.  If the cream is a little soft on the cupcake, put them in the fridge just to cool off and then decorate with the fondant.

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 19

AActually the secret to perfectly domed cupcakes is using cake recipes that are very light and airy like sponge cakes. The recipe posted above seems good as it includes beating the eggs which incorporates air into your batter and therefore makes you cupcakes dome nicely. :D

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 19

My cupcakes come out flat, which is how I like them. To get a dome on it, I use an ice cream scoop to apply a crusting buttercream on the cupcake, so you are starting off with a roundish shape. Let it crust. Melvira it with a roller almost to the edges of the cupcake. Fridge for a while. Spritz with cooled boiled water, and apply your fondant circle (I use an 8cm cutter). Smooth on with your hands. Easy peasy, though a little time consuming, so make sure you are charging enough. In the past I have actually baked the cupcakes, added the buttercream, smoothed and then frozen to get ahead. You can apply the fondant while the cupcakes are still frozen but you will get some condensation on it - it disappears after a while. Doing it this way means you can use your regular cake recipes without having to worry about the cake doming or not.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 19

I do what Dayti does.  I don't use a full sized scoop, but a 2 oz portion scoop, and it works great.  I like to chill them before putting the cap of fondant on, and since I use IMBC I don't have to spritz them with anything to get them to stick.  The technique is the same though.  make sure you cut the circle of fondant big enough to cover the icing and you are golden. 

Bomatebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bomatebaker Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 19

What temperature is your oven when you first put the batter in? For a flat cake the temperature for pre-heating the oven should not be that much higher than the temperature you plan to bake the cake.

I bake my cupcakes at 150C (I'm in the UK). To get well domed Cupcakes I pre-heat the oven at the maximum temperature. When I put the cupcakes in the oven, I wait for about 5 minutes then reduce the temperature to 150C. That way the outside of the cupcake bakes first and has already formed and secured it's shape. When I reduce the temperature for the middle of the cupcake to bake, the Batter has nowhere else to up but up which then results in a dome shaped cupcake.

To get a flat cupcake I do the opposite.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 19

I saw a tutorial somewhere where the girl made the domes ahead of time - she rolled out her round of fondant and shaped it over a half round styrofoam thingy (prob covered in saran).  Then basically iced the cuppie and plopped the semi hardened dome over top.  

edit:  http://cdn-27.create.net/sitefiles/27/3/5/273524/TMCC_Domed_topper_tutorial.pdf  here you go!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 19

No matter which recipe I use I always bake the cupcakes at 375 degrees for 7 minutes and then back the oven down to 350.  I let them bake at 350 until the are done, usually 18 - 19 minutes and when I take them out I reset the oven to 375 and let it heat back up.  Sometimes it is a pain to remember to raise or lower the temp but my cupcakes always turn out with a nice dome on them.  If I don't want them to dome I just bake them at 350.  HTH

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 1:00am
post #12 of 19

Cake Journal  dot com has a great post about domed cupcakes.

http://cakejournal.com/tutorials/cupcake-decorating-part-2/

taniastoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taniastoke Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 19

AYou've probably figured thus out by now as your post was a while ago but I've just seen an easy way - cut a foam ball in half and mould and decorate your fondant on there before transferring to the cake once set

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 1:26am
post #14 of 19

Cake Journal . com has a wonderful tutorial on how to get domed vanilla cupcakes but what about chocolate?

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 5:39am
post #15 of 19

ASo glad I came across this post for 2 reasons nicely domed cupcakes and now thanks to jemchina and cakejournal a tutorial and recipe on poured fondant for said domed cupcakes!

Fayd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fayd Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 1:41pm
post #16 of 19

AI usually get my cupcakes to be domed shape by frosting the cupcakes in a dome shaped way. I find this way more easier and faster where you can place the cupcakes in the referigator to set and then cover with fondant. Here's a youtube video that might help.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUXVVTclAuk&client=mv-google&hl=en&guid=&gl=AU

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:55pm
post #17 of 19

A

Original message sent by taniastoke

You've probably figured thus out by now as your post was a while ago but I've just seen an easy way - cut a foam ball in half and mould and decorate your fondant on there before transferring to the cake once set

I wanted to do this for "ornament" cupcakes this Christmas, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on foam balls. Potential solution? Use actual christmas ornaments for molding. You can get a couple dozen for under $10, and probably less than $5 now that they're all on clearance. Caveat: I ran out of time and didn't get around to making the cupcakes, so this theory is untested. Still, seemed like a good idea.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:32pm
post #18 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hfuhruhurr 

I wanted to do this for "ornament" cupcakes this Christmas, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on foam balls. Potential solution? Use actual christmas ornaments for molding. You can get a couple dozen for under $10, and probably less than $5 now that they're all on clearance. Caveat: I ran out of time and didn't get around to making the cupcakes, so this theory is untested. Still, seemed like a good idea.

This is the tutorial I used the first time I made them.  The pan is really cheap and I suspect less time consuming than hand molding.   http://www.globalsugarart.com/tutorial.php?sheetid=138

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:50pm
post #19 of 19

AI read somewhere that using bleached instead of unbleached flour helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%