Help With Cupcake Ideas

Baking By bengals Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 2:00am by CakeMann

bengals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bengals Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 23

AHi fellow cc'ers

I've recently been attending the local osteopath for a trapped ulnar nerve which has left me unable to do lots of things in my daily life including any cake at all

22 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 23

first of all so sorry about your (hand/wrist/arm/shoulder/elbow) ulnar issue

so glad that you have a worthy medical pathway and someone to trust for a guide

you could make a small hand cupping the word thanks placed palm up

small hand holding one pretty flower on a stem

hand holding a wire whip to signify baking/caking

to be bizarre and graphic have a white iced red velvet cupcake as if it were split open on top by a pointy knife made out of nice stiff fondant maybe pipe a few 'red drops' for effect and write 'just say no' on the blade

to illustrate your joy of not having to get surgery

i hope that's within your particular circumference at this point

you could write the word 'thanks' out of fondant in 'fingers'--so each letter looks like a finger or several fingers

hope i'm not grossing you out icon_biggrin.gif

hope you feel better soon and are back to full mobility in nanoseconds!!!

bengals Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 23

AHi K8memphis

First of all I'm impressed with your knowledge on the whole ulnar nerve it's effecting every where you've mentioned

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 23

i hope it's only on one side at least!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i'm really glad i didn't gross you out

the knife was my first idea so i tried to ease into it icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miscellaneous-SMALL-HANDS-Chocolate-Candy-Mold-2-3-8-x-1-1-2-/360408604272#vi-content

just a thought

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chocolate-Finger-tips/

not sure this is all approved for making edibles but it's a great idea too

take care!!!

bengals Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 23

AIt's only the one side my right side........and I'm right handed of course

CakeMann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMann Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 1:11am
post #6 of 23

Hi, I saw some great cupcakes at Oakmont Bakery in Pittsburgh PA. They call them "attitude cupcakes" , I am sure they have a web site. They were different characters and $2.50 . I also saw some cool ones on Dessert Flair on their Cupcake Flair page. Good luck.

bengals Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 23

AHi cakemann

Thanks for the reply I'll check out those websites site for some ideas

Thanks again

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 23

AI know that you are looking for ideas on how to decorate your cupcakes but I have a website that has recipes for the cupcakes themselves. Im a hobby baker and making from scratch scared me at first but I made the ultimate vanilla cupcakes they are so yummy even my daughter who is picky loves them. Its cupcakeproject.com. hopefully you don't have to have surgery, I ended up having surgery for my ulnar nerve but sounds like you are doing great without surgery. Best of luck to you and happy baking

bengals Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 23

AHi Katzita

I'll certainly take a look at your web page I can sympathise with the ulnar nerve problem it's extremely painful and I'm hoping I'll be able to avoid surgery I think the 6-8 week recovery would be enough to drive me slowly insane

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 23

AI sometimes use chocolate covered Oreo molds as cupcake Toppers minus the Oreo. As in I put candy melts in the mold only about 1/4 of the way. Spinningleaf has a nice "thank you" one. It's so much easier than piping especially in your case...do one color and brush some Pearl dust on it for a nice sheen.

I've also seen a "hands" chocolate mold several places online and for cheap. Using chocolate molds for decorations is simple and often yields impressive results. Love all of K8's ideas....true pro right there.

So sorry about your condition, but so glad you found a good, knowledgeable doc to handle it :).

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 23
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 23

I was going to suggest candy molds but someone beat me to it icon_biggrin.gif. If piping is still a problem, you could ice them with melted buttercream; much tastier than most fondant!  I read it here a long time ago but used it only once. You just microwave your buttercream (on low, a little at a time) until it's proper dipping consistency. Dip your cupcakes into it, allow to set, then decorate with a pretty piece of candy or chocolate from a mold. It sets to a nice smooth finish. I'm pretty sure it would only work with ABC and not meringue-based. I actually used melted chocolate buttercream for the strawberries on this cake so you can see the look.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1878138/a/1879138/we-always-celebrate-my-son-in-laws-birthday-on-thanksgiving-but-this-year-it-actually-fell-on-the-holiday-all-of-his-favorites-chocolate-cake-fudge-frosting-chocolate-covered-strawberries-tfl/#order=1&albumId=1879138&nextId=false&prevId=false&imageId=1878138&imageESOId=500991&fullUrl=%2Fg%2Fi%2F1878138%2Fa%2F1879138%2Fwe-always-celebrate-my-son-in-law-039-s-birthday-on-thanksgiving-but-this-year-it-actually-fell-on-the-holiday-all-of-his-favorites-chocolate-cake-fudge-frosting-chocolate-covered-strawberries-tfl%2F%2F&fullSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn001.cakecentral.com%2F5%2F5e%2F900x900px-LL-5e602e8e_gallery7311451290785015.jpeg&thumbSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn001.cakecentral.com%2F5%2F5e%2F50x50px-ZC-5e602e8e_gallery7311451290785015.jpeg&description=We+always+celebrate+my+son-in-law%26%23039%3Bs+birthday+on+Thanksgiving+but+this+year+it+actually+fell+on+the+holiday.+All+of+his+favorites...chocolate+cake%2C+fudge+frosting%2C+chocolate+covered+strawberries.+TFL!&original=http%3A%2F%2Fcakecentral.com%2Fimage%2Fid%2F500991&setName=&urlSlug=we-always-celebrate-my-son-in-law-039-s-birthday-on-thanksgiving-but-this-year-it-actually-fell-on-the-holiday-all-of-his-favorites-chocolate-cake-fudge-frosting-chocolate-covered-strawberries-tfl

Uh, weird link...hope it works.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 23

ALol sorry I made it sound like the Cupcakeproject is my personal web page.... I wish it was but thats not the fact its a web page that I stumbled apon . I've only tried the ultimate vanilla cupcakes on the web page and like I said they are quite yummy.

Happy Baking :grin: Kat

bengals Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 23

AHey hotpink lipgloss,

Great idea which would save me from piping at all until I'm hopefully 100% better. I'll have a search for those moulds wouldn't get them here in Dublin.

Thanks so much for the pic having an image is so so helpful.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 23

Honestly I would keep it simple for your sake.  Just do a simple buttercream swirl and maybe some fondant heart decorations or pink and red sprinkles since Valentine's Day is coming. 

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 23

I would also keep it simple, dont hurt yourself. But I do like that oreo mold idea nice and easy yet still very cute!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 23

Happy you are thinking ahead to feeling better!  My prayers and wishes for your speedy recovery too.

Cute ideas from others too.

I was trying to cut and paste a picture here but I can't seem to do it from my IPad or Macbook (I guess it works better from my IBMcompatible at work!)  Anyway.....  why not decorate with small candies? What I was trying to paste was an M&M cake from the first page of my gallery.  I decorated a cake with a rainbow spiral of the small candies, this would work on cupcakes too.  I see you are not in the same country as me, but I'm sure there's compatible candies.  I love to walk around the candy aisle for ideas (and snacks!) on how already made items can be incorporated.  It's almost Valentine's Day so all that candy is around too - like the Sweethearts hearts with messages that say 'You're The Best' (skip the overly mushy ones for your doctor!!)  Less decorating for you but obviously there's plenty of thought involved.  Please post what you do so we can all enjoy it!

Best,

Theresa

bengals Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 23

AHi AnnieCahill

Keeping it simple is the most sensible thing to do sometimes I just forget how nice the simple things can be.

Thanks for the reply

bengals Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 6:35pm
post #19 of 23

ATheresaf,rement333,&lovelyladylibra - thank you all so much for your kind words my osteopath is excellent and I've great faith in her and hopefully I'll manage a good recovery without the surgery.

Some great ideas and inspiration from you all as always

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 20 Jan 2013 , 2:34am
post #20 of 23

ASo sorry to hear about your ulnar problem....hope it gets better soon....hard to survive without caking! I was thinking of doing it simple too.....maybe some flower cutouts with butterflies and hearts? Looks pretty and easy to make!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 3:22am
post #21 of 23

Forgive my ignorance; my osteopath experience is limited to a novel I read. An osteopath proscribes/prescribes exercises for strengthening, correct? Are there any exercises or things used to manipulate that are particularly dreaded by patients? I may be able to come up with more ideas if I understood a little more.

I do have one idea, however. Ice the cupcakes however like and use a computer to make cupcakes picks that say, "Thanks for getting on my nerves!" You can make the cupcakes look either couture or fun depending on the colors used and the style of the pick. For example: ice the cupcake fairly smooth, dip it in white sugar crystals. Make the pick using light blue colors, a script font, and a pretty border. Glue 2 of the picks between a toothpick and you have a classy cupcake. If you do the same thing in bright colors with a print font, it would a fun cupcake.

I hope I've helped a bit. I really not that familiar with osteopathy.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 7:08am
post #22 of 23

AI too, vote to keep it simple. She knows what you're going through, and is a great lady, so I will assume that she will be mad and upset if you torture yourself for elaborate cupcakes. Tell her you made some really great cupcakes that had all these wonderful ideas on them, but your dog ate them, and wink. Then give her the simple ones with sprinkles or spray, and tell her that actually, you know she didn't want you to cramp out, and give her the real ones.

CakeMann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMann Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:00am
post #23 of 23

Dessert Flair has a Cupcake Flair page on their website, , good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%