Help!

Decorating By SweetTzippy Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 8:39pm by BakingIrene

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 4

This client has ordered ellaborate cakes that require carving so I usually bake a madeira cake or a pound cake but this time she is asking for simple decorations but requesting a LIGHT & FLUFFY sponge cake instead.   I have been baking dense cakes forever now and can't think of a recipe that will result in a "fluffy" & "lighter" cake. 

Suggestions anyone?  Please help, she is a good client and don't want to dissapoint her.

Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 4

Well, consider a Victoria sponge.

Or have a look at recipes at www.kingarthurflour.com as some of them are by weight and are the "lighter" style.  They do very well with buttercream, and they even tier well with proper dowels.

Use the recipes that start with the butter and sugar being creamed--I do not recommend recipes by  the method where the flour and fat and some liquid are dumped and mixed at the start.

So do a tasting with this good client with 2-3 shortlisted recipes. Bake cupcakes or small round cakes from a half recipe.  Have some buttercream and/or ganache ready but not on the cakes.  If this is a very faithful client, I would write off the ingredients and time.  You may well get MANY more orders for these lighter cakes from her.

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for your suggestions BakingIrene.  Will check that website.

When I hear "light" I think of angel food cake, but... not sure if I can torte and fill this kind of cake with buttercream, and that is usually baked in a bundt shape. 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 4

There are several grades of "lightness" between madeira and angel food.

The American recipes have milk and baking powder which "lighten" well. The flour has to be folded in carefully in alteration with the milk to keep the crumb tender.  Be careful to not overbake these cakes. These cakes are normally baked in layer cake pans.

Then there are chiffon cakes and true whole-egg spongecakes with or without some butter/milk. These can be baked in layer cake pans as long as they are not greased.  I line bottoms with bakers parchment.

These intermediate cakes can be baked in multiple thin layers to stack without accidents to the thin slices. Again you have to watch the baking time carefully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%