Melting Jam To Put Under Fondant On Cookies

Baking By hra0907 Updated 25 Jan 2013 , 1:26pm by saapena

hra0907 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hra0907 Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 15

This may have already been a topic of discussion, but in reading some of the posting this morning everyone seems to use corn syrup or piping jell on their fondant covered cookies and I have as well.  However, I was wondering, if you melt jam, marmalade etc..would it work as well as piping jell or corn syrup?  I have 4 dozen sea shell cookies to do for a bridal shower on Saturday, and really don't have the time to do the cookie icing, so was going to do fondant.  I used orange zest in my dough and thought about the orange marmalade for the glue.  All comments are appreciated

14 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, it will work, you have to heat the jam in the microwave then sieve it to get any bits out. Mix with a boiled, cooled water to get the consistency you need to make it "brushable".

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 15

Yes, I've used jam in the past.

A shredless marmalade would probably be lovely, if there's orange in the cookie.

For vanilla cookies, I've found the jam with the least strong flavour is apricot.

hra0907 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hra0907 Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for your responses.  Just wanted something a little different.  Jam it is! thumbs_up.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 15

I strain the jam and use it warm NO water added.

Cakesvillenl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesvillenl Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 15

I think it could be possible that you could overload the taste by using a jam the same flavour as the cookies.  It is also possible to use plain old cooled boiled water to stick the fondant to the biscuit. It is also cheaper, especially if you have to go out and buy jam just for the one occassion.  Just make sure if you do use water that you do not over do it. Hope that helps you

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 15

Wouldn't using just water make the cookie go soggy?????

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 15

also sometimes if you lay the fondant onto the hot cookie it sticks by itself

well come to think of it i guess i've done that with rolled buttercream and not fondant

so take that with a grain of sugar icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 15

Yes, fondant directly on the hot cookie right out of the oven (have all your fondant pre-cut) works great.  That's the only way I do it.  The fondant laminates itself right onto the cookie.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:56am
post #10 of 15

Fondant on a hot cookie? Who knew?! Thanks for the tip!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 3:12am
post #11 of 15

Plain boiled water - just a brush over the underside of the fondant so it's damp. Works fine - no soggy-ness.

Zeyneb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeyneb Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 15

I only use water too - not boiled either, just even temp. water! - for all of my fondant covered cookies and decorations on my fondant covered cakes.

Water works just GREAT ! As long as you dont blob too much of it onto the fondant ; just a light brush works perfectly ;)

pollymixtures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pollymixtures Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 12:47pm
post #13 of 15

Make sure if you use jam that they eat them up soon. The reason corn syrup/gel is so popular is that they don't go off as quick as jam does. :) 

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 15

I use a thin smear of butter cream under my fondant and edible images on cookies. 

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 1:26pm
post #15 of 15

I have also put the fondant directly onto the hot cookie like Leah--and it works really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%