Keeping A Ball Cake From Losing It's Shape

Decorating By morrisaz2004 Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 6:10am by cazza1

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there. I seem to have a problem keeping my ball/sphere shaped cakes from sinking into one another.  Am I missing something here?  If I tort and fill a Wilton Ball Pan cake (large size), my top part of the ball seems to sink into the bottom part of the ball.  Does this mean that my cake, itself, is too heavy for this kind of shape?  I tend to use a WASC cake recipes.  Should I be baking a different type of cake?  Also, I do cover all of my cakes in fondant, if that matters.  I just find that my cake starts sinking even before I put the fondant on.  If I put a board in between each half of of the ball, then I'm not sure where the filling goes....Overall, I guess this is just a big mess for me.  Anyone have any good suggestions or tricks that they use?  Thanks so much!  :-)

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 1:18am
post #2 of 4

You bake the cake in two parts. Slice off humps.

Bottom part gets put down onto a plate.  Sliced? Filled?  then you add dowels,  then a board at the equator where the two baked parts had top crusts.  Top will not crush down on the bottom.

texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 5:01am
post #3 of 4

I, too, had a rough time with the ball pan my first time. I had heard a box cake mix with pudding added would be firm enough to hold up, but it was a disaster! On my second attempt, I used an actual scratch pound cake out of a cake decorating book, which was supposed to be ideal for 3-D cakes. When I used that recipe, it held up much better. So, maybe try a scratch pound cake specifically for decorating.  You might cut off a little on the bottom so it sits level. I found that to help it stand straighter. 

Also, if you freeze the cake and then let it thaw slightly, you can still tort the cake into either 3 or 4 layers. You can put the filling in between each. I filled with chocolate ganache and iced in chocolate buttercream. I think I used a cake board in the middle and inserted several wooden dowels. The fondant was put on while the cake was still slightly frozen. It held up really well.

Maybe I am misinterpreting your problem, but maybe something I said will help! Don't give up! The results are worth the trouble!!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 6:10am
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys.  I did a 'Where's Wally" cake for my daughter and as the day progressed Australia started to merge with Antarctica and so on.  I thought that maybe the Wally was too heavy for the cake.  I would never have thought of putting the second half of the cake on another board.  Now I might be game to try using the tin again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%