Cracks Around The Top Edges Of The Cake, Fondant Icing.

Decorating By Ninas Cakes Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 9:58pm by Ninas Cakes

Ninas Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninas Cakes Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 7

ACan anyone help with this problem I seem to find on my cakes. It's like elephant skin, small cracks, is it the fondant I use or am I using to much powdered sugar when rolling the fondant out. The cracks are only ever small and always around the top edges of the cake.

6 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 7

It's usually caused by the brand of fondant and/or overuse of icing sugar or cornflour when rolling out. It can also be due to the fondant stretching because there is too much excess fondant, and therefore weight, hanging down the side of the cake. Which brand of fondant are you using? I find Regalice does this a lot, even when I don't overuse the cornflour.

Ninas Cakes Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 7

AI use regal ice. Lol plus i do all the things you said, so will eliminate doing them, see how that turns out. Thank you.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 7

You should try another brand sometime too. I would suggest PME or Satin Ice, see if you can get hold of them. You can eliminate weight from your fondant by just rolling it thinner too (apart from rolling it out into a smaller round), that often helps on those top edges.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 7

AI roll my fondant to 1/16" which helps eliminate cracking. I use either fondarific brand or Massa something (can't remember the exact name). Both are so easy to work with and actually taste good.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 7

I use a light coat of shortening to knead my fondant and only use corn starch when I am ready to roll it out.  This helps keep the fondant from getting too dry and has eliminated the problems you mention. HTH

Ninas Cakes Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 7

AI will try all the suggestions you have all kindly shared. Massive thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%