How Do I Make A Cake That Looks Like It Has Lace All Over It?

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 14 Jan 2013 , 5:27pm by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 4

How do I make a cake look like it has lace all over it? I was sent a picture of a wedding cake and someone wants it to look like there's lace on all 3 tiers. I think in the pic it looks like it was piped on. But I was thinking sugarveil would be easier to do, and maybe look better. But I don't know if I like sugarveil's lace design as much as what they have piped on. Can I make or use something else to do lace on the cake? (without using fabric lace) Here's the pinterest link that the bride sent me: www.pinterest.com/pin/46513808622799434

Or do you think that I could make a silicone mat with lace from the Fabric store? (seems like a lot of work, lol) I'm just trying to figure out what will give me the best result?

Or I wonder if I could use sugarveil in my Cricut cake? I know it can be done... maybe I should look at the cartridges and see what I can find... that may work too?

What do you all think?

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 4

I think that looks piped on.  And while it may be a bit tedious, its really not hard to do at all.  Imprint the larger motifs with cutters, pipe over the outlines and fill in completely.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 4

if i did that cake--i would impress some shapes into the fondant with flower and cookie cutters

and pipe over those shapes and fill in the dots and other fill ins freehand

i'd use specific shapes so that it all appears more uniform like a real lace

my freehanding would not repeat the pattern as consistently and repititiously as a nice secure form

just the big & small floral shape, a coupla paisleys and the triple leafy things--fill in the rest

pipe it is my suggestion--the shapes help your speed

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 4

Oh that's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of imprinting the  fondant with cutters and then piping! Good thinking... this is why I needed a fresh set of eyes ;) 

Would you do royal icing to pipe it or just buttercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%